Son really struggling at university - social anxiety

Hi,

I'm new to this forum - I hope its ok to post. My son has been referred for an autism assessment by the GP but he hasn't actually been diagnosed. He went away to uni last weekend, staying in halls - he knew he was going to find it difficult but he really wanted to try. He's been to all his course induction activities and said he's looking forward to starting the course properly next week.

But it is the living arrangements he's struggling with. He's self catering, sharing a kitchen with four others. He's not dared leave his room to speak to them, he's been going into the kitchen at 6am to make himself some food when nobody is around, and then staying in his room when he's not at course induction activities. His flatmates have put notes under his door asking if he's ok and if he wants to join the whatsapp chat. It took him hours to work up the courage to actually read the notes, and he doesn't want to join the group chat. I've suggested he tries writing a note for his flatmates, which he might try but he's not sure. He's coming home this weekend (already planned) so he'll have a break then. But we're not sure whether the best thing would be to try to see if he can move into a self-contained studio flat, so he can have his own kitchen and not have to see anyone, or whether this won't help him and isolate him further. We could reach out to the university residential experience people but I know he won't accept help, and wouldn't feel able to go and approach them for a meeting or anything.

He hasn't spoken to anyone on his course yet, but he's fine with that and we know it'll just take time and he may or may not make a friend or two.

Parents
  • Is this not normal for an autistic boy? I am surprised he hasn’t taken to drinking alcohol to cope with the social anxiety like I would have at uni. Well done to him for that. I question how autism friendly a place like uni actually is for us though. But your boy has to go to uni to get a good job though just tell him to ride it out in his room or something. As long as he completes his course that’s all that matters really. That’s all he’s there to do really. The freshers stuff and drink and drugs is all hype it doesn’t get you a 50K a year job like studying does.

• Is this not normal for an autistic boy? I am surprised he hasn’t taken to drinking alcohol to cope with the social anxiety like I would have at uni. Well done to him for that. I question how autism friendly a place like uni actually is for us though. But your boy has to go to uni to get a good job though just tell him to ride it out in his room or something. As long as he completes his course that’s all that matters really. That’s all he’s there to do really. The freshers stuff and drink and drugs is all hype it doesn’t get you a 50K a year job like studying does.

Children
No Data