Am I being over-sensitive?

My DD has many differences when it comes to food one of which is loving jelly & ice cream, but only if they're in 2 different bowls (no problem!)

Last Sunday we went for a family meal (me, DD, my parents, my sister, her daughter & her fiance) when it got to desert my DD wanted jelly & ice cream in separate bowls (as always) my dad & I went to order & when I ordered DD desert the woman serving gave a funny look (now I'm used to ignoring these kinds of looks e.g. we went somewher once & I had to return the apple as it had a slight mark on it so needed a different one) and I ignore them because, at the end of the day I accept my DD for who & how she is.

Now on Sunday, when the woman gave her funny look, my dad said "she's one of those children" it really upset me a) that had my DD followed & heard that how would she have felt and b) that he felt the need to pass any comment on it at all.

I've just raised it with my dad (there was a long discussion about talking about things which were problems otherwise problems can't be resolved) and said it had upset me & explained the 2 points as I've put above. He has said he will not stop doing it because it's "who he is" which instantly made me mad that he had ignored me so I said fine we just won't go anywhere with you ever again (I'm rather tired at the minute!) so he hung up & blah blah. So I messaged my mum who said well he won't have been malicious, I never for a minute thought he was BUT in my mind, nobody has a right to give my DD funny looks because of her eating habits & if they're that low that they feel the need to, there certainly shouldn't be any 'explanation' given (and the explanation in itself I thought was quite rude)

Am I being over sensitive? In my mind, personal business is exactly that...it's personal not something to be explained to evey Tom, *** & Harry who gives you a funny look :(

Parents
  • "one of those children" I don't think he meant autistic, I think he may have been trying to diffuse the situation by joking that she was just a child who was being particular?

Regarding the funny look, I would have just said to the offender in a loud voice "Is there a problem, only you just pulled a face?!"  Sometimes embarrassing someone out of their behaviour makes them think twice about doing it again.

• "one of those children" I don't think he meant autistic, I think he may have been trying to diffuse the situation by joking that she was just a child who was being particular?

Regarding the funny look, I would have just said to the offender in a loud voice "Is there a problem, only you just pulled a face?!"  Sometimes embarrassing someone out of their behaviour makes them think twice about doing it again.

Children
No Data