Nootropics - where to start.

Hello,

We have been waiting for an official ASD diagnosis for my 15 year old daughter for 16 months now.  We have already had a informal diagnosis by a professional but they only work in schools.    She is at an all time low has regular meltdowns.  Low self esteem and self worth.  It is so hard for her to go to school doesn’t attend regularly and next year age will be doing her GCSE’s.  Despite her low attendance she is doing really well in her subjects and has a good attitude towards the academic aspect of school.  Socially though she is struggling.  Currently she spends lunch breaks alone as she doesn’t have any friends.   She is spending a lot of time alone in the dark in her bedroom and although on the rare occasions we take her out, her mood improves, this is short lived.  She also has several sensory challenges.

She says she feels sad and empty.  Has no reason to live hates herself doesn’t want to be here anymore and goes to bed every night hoping she doesn’t wake up in the morning.  Obviously this breaks our heart as we feel so helpless.  For the last month she has currently been taking 25mg of Setraline.  However, this seems to be making her a lot worse so we don’t think this is the right path for her.  She says she has depression but I believe it is because she has ASD.  We are desperate to help her and just want this diagnosis so that she can see there is a reason why she feels like this and it’s through no fault of her own.  (She is in denial) I have been reading about Nootropics and the possible benefits for people with ASD/ADHD.  There is a wealth of information out there and it’s hard to decide which direction to go in but I am definitely seeing that this could be worth considering.

is there anyone out there in a similar situation to us that has chosen this pathway?? If so any advice would be gratefully appreciated.  She has an important year coming up and I want to help her though it in the best way possible.  As a parent going through this you feel so alone and isolated and I just don’t know what to do for the best.

Thank you Pray 

Parents
  • I have been thinking about this all morning, trying to remember back to when I was your daughter's age. Probably what she needs more than anything is a friend. It will be hard work, but there must be a way to connect with autistics of her age.

• Thank you Mark.  I completely agree with you and have suggested this to my daughter many times unfortunately she is not interested in forming any relationships with anyone right now.  Hopefully in time she will change her mind as I can see how this would be a comfort to her.

• Thank you Mark.  I completely agree with you and have suggested this to my daughter many times unfortunately she is not interested in forming any relationships with anyone right now.  Hopefully in time she will change her mind as I can see how this would be a comfort to her.

Children
No Data