Unmotivated high-functioning 20 year old

My niece is 20 years old. We were so proud of her when she got into university to do a media degree. We believed that she successfully completed her first year but unbeknownst to us she actually did not make the grades and could not continue to the second year. She did not tell us she had lost her place at university but went back in the second year and did nothing. We found out and she is now back at home. She has zero motivation and refuses to find jobs or alternate courses. It’s as if she’s lost and just sits in her bedroom on her phone. Communication with her mother is dire and my sister is at her wits end. I am on this forum to ask whether anyone has advice on either a buddying or mentoring service for her. Many thanks

Parents
  • Maybe some therapy would help your niece, who likely feels bad about herself and where she is in life at the moment. I've heard that there are some online therapy services, that people can just talk or message or video chat a therapist online. They are paid services though, but talking to a therapist online might be better for someone who is shut in. I think that after she gets past those negative emotions, she can be a more productive person.

I've heard stories of people pretending to go to university, and it's just because they don't want to let their family down and disappoint them. But university can be such a lonely place, and the workload can be a lot. Also, transitioning from being a teenager into being a young adult can be scary, but hopefully with some support, she can find her way.

• Maybe some therapy would help your niece, who likely feels bad about herself and where she is in life at the moment. I've heard that there are some online therapy services, that people can just talk or message or video chat a therapist online. They are paid services though, but talking to a therapist online might be better for someone who is shut in. I think that after she gets past those negative emotions, she can be a more productive person.

I've heard stories of people pretending to go to university, and it's just because they don't want to let their family down and disappoint them. But university can be such a lonely place, and the workload can be a lot. Also, transitioning from being a teenager into being a young adult can be scary, but hopefully with some support, she can find her way.

Children
No Data