4 year old preschooler with book obsession

Hi, 

I am working with a 4 year old autistic boy who's high interest is books; books of any kind. Reading books, small counting, shape and letter books or picture books. This high interest has increased in intensity over the past weeks and I am struggling to get any engagement or interaction with him without a book in hand.; meaning that most interaction can be meaningless.

Mealtimes can be particularly difficult as he is reliant on being provided a loaded spoon to feed himself and isn't happy without a bigger book, which gets in the way and becomes problematic when feeding. I have tried to put boundaries in place and allow other books at the table which are smaller, and a number of them, but if it is not the book he wants he can refuse to eat for me because I have said no and reinforced the boundary. He will often stamp his feet or smack his hands on the wall or head bang if he isn't given the book he is asking for. He will eat for other individuals, but feels like he refuses to eat for me because I'm the boundary setter and he doesn't like this. I think part of his frustration is that he understands that I have said no, but doesn't understand why.

I want to be able to use these in a positive way to promote communication and language; child is basically non-verbal or verbally limited, turn taking and sharing but am unsure on what strategies can be used. Can anyone help with any ideas on what I can do to positively use these books, but also ways to successfully come away from these so i can engage with the child effectively? 

Parents
  • i think thats a good thing... be sure to remind him that books are written by humans and humans are just wrong most times and it should all be taken with a grain of salt and all the books he read maybe just wrong opinions. if hes reading for learning purposes.... never take book as gospel... unless your religious then you have to lol 

• i think thats a good thing... be sure to remind him that books are written by humans and humans are just wrong most times and it should all be taken with a grain of salt and all the books he read maybe just wrong opinions. if hes reading for learning purposes.... never take book as gospel... unless your religious then you have to lol 

Children
No Data