Teenage son won't accept my new partner

Hello, new to this forum and would be so grateful for your perspectives on this...

My son is 17 and although not diagnosed as autistic I strongly suspect that he is high functioning. A couple of years ago I split up with my previous partner after 13 years. For the last 1 and a half years I've been with someone new and my relationship with him is everything I dreamed of. He spends 6 nights in every fortnight staying with us.

My son refuses to accept the change and says he resents me for forcing this on him. He wants his home to be his sanctuary where he doesn't have to be fake around people, which I totally understand. He doesn't have any problem with my partner as a person, it's just that he doesn't want any 'outsiders' here.

I make it clear that I'm always available to him, whether or not my new partner is here, but he refuses to be around him or to go to family gatherings if he's there. So I now avoid family gatherings, which is not what I want at all, for any of us. He also barely talks to me if I try to engage with him while my partner's not around.

I don't know what to do. My son is very withdrawn and doesn't like to share his feelings.

Thank you so much for any advice.

Parents
  • I can't really give advice on this matter as I felt exactly the same when I was younger.  Thankfully me and my sister always did enough to put off any future relationship for mum Slight smile.

I wasn't as bothered once I grew up and moved on.  Looking back maybe people would see it as selfish but I really didn't like the thought of a stranger or anyone else other than my dad being near my place of comfort.

• I can't really give advice on this matter as I felt exactly the same when I was younger.  Thankfully me and my sister always did enough to put off any future relationship for mum Slight smile.

I wasn't as bothered once I grew up and moved on.  Looking back maybe people would see it as selfish but I really didn't like the thought of a stranger or anyone else other than my dad being near my place of comfort.

Children
No Data