Newly diagnosed 8yo. When should we tell him? Would it help him if I was also assessed?

Hello, our son who has just turned 8 was recently diagnosed with ASD. I have a couple of questions, would love opinions on any of them if you're happy to share.

1. What age should we be thinking about telling him? I don't think he'd understand what it means at the moment - and we also wouldn't want him broadcasting it at school.
  2. My wife and I have discussed the possibility that I could also be autistic. Is there any benefit to my son in me getting assessed? 
  3. We gave up on the CAMHS route and he was diagnosed by a paediatric consultant. We were given minimal signposting and no follow up. Are there any resources we should be investigating to help us as parents of a newly diagnosed child?

As above I'd be very grateful for thoughts on any of these questions - many thanks in advance.

Parents
  • Maybe chams will work for you but 20 Yr ago it was waste of time and yielded nothing to help.my son at all...and all they did with my son at school was.play pocker with him they took him out of the class.as he wasn't doing well obvs...and put him in a small room with adult staff who were using him to play poka (I'm not even kidding) I didn't find this out till much later ..he is very sharp in some respects you see..anyway I digress...look the sooner you tell your child the better  the later you leave it the worse it is...you just need to "guide" your child.in that what they're consuming re the Internet is showing positive role models ie Anthony Hopkins is actually autistic did you know and try to shield your child from.amything negative regarding autism.etc

• Maybe chams will work for you but 20 Yr ago it was waste of time and yielded nothing to help.my son at all...and all they did with my son at school was.play pocker with him they took him out of the class.as he wasn't doing well obvs...and put him in a small room with adult staff who were using him to play poka (I'm not even kidding) I didn't find this out till much later ..he is very sharp in some respects you see..anyway I digress...look the sooner you tell your child the better  the later you leave it the worse it is...you just need to "guide" your child.in that what they're consuming re the Internet is showing positive role models ie Anthony Hopkins is actually autistic did you know and try to shield your child from.amything negative regarding autism.etc

Children
No Data