Newly diagnosed 8yo. When should we tell him? Would it help him if I was also assessed?

Hello, our son who has just turned 8 was recently diagnosed with ASD. I have a couple of questions, would love opinions on any of them if you're happy to share.

1. What age should we be thinking about telling him? I don't think he'd understand what it means at the moment - and we also wouldn't want him broadcasting it at school.
  2. My wife and I have discussed the possibility that I could also be autistic. Is there any benefit to my son in me getting assessed? 
  3. We gave up on the CAMHS route and he was diagnosed by a paediatric consultant. We were given minimal signposting and no follow up. Are there any resources we should be investigating to help us as parents of a newly diagnosed child?

As above I'd be very grateful for thoughts on any of these questions - many thanks in advance.

Parents
  • Hi John

I am in exactly the same situation. My son is 9. We have a couple of months until his assessment and wanted to tell him before as he’s high masking and didn’t want it to go unnoticed. I am seeking an assessment also and really believe it would benefit my son just to know he’s not alone. He has some very dark days, he wishes himself dead sometimes when he struggles so I think it would reassure him to know that I have managed it to this point. 

I hope whatever you decide works out for you guys

• Hi ,

Yes exactly that, I'm hoping that my son knowing he's not alone would be helpful - so ideally I would want to be diagnosed myself before we tell him.

Our situation is not currently as bad as yours, my heart goes out to you. Good luck and I hope the assessment(s) help you all.

• Hi ,

Yes exactly that, I'm hoping that my son knowing he's not alone would be helpful - so ideally I would want to be diagnosed myself before we tell him.

Our situation is not currently as bad as yours, my heart goes out to you. Good luck and I hope the assessment(s) help you all.

Children
No Data