Newly diagnosed 8yo. When should we tell him? Would it help him if I was also assessed?

Hello, our son who has just turned 8 was recently diagnosed with ASD. I have a couple of questions, would love opinions on any of them if you're happy to share.

1. What age should we be thinking about telling him? I don't think he'd understand what it means at the moment - and we also wouldn't want him broadcasting it at school.
  2. My wife and I have discussed the possibility that I could also be autistic. Is there any benefit to my son in me getting assessed? 
  3. We gave up on the CAMHS route and he was diagnosed by a paediatric consultant. We were given minimal signposting and no follow up. Are there any resources we should be investigating to help us as parents of a newly diagnosed child?

As above I'd be very grateful for thoughts on any of these questions - many thanks in advance.

Parents
  • Hi John

Ross Mod has given you some pointers to advice and support for parents and carers, however in reply to question 2 - I'm not sure if it would help your son, but it may help you to find out if you are autistic.

The Autism-Spectrum Quotient (AQ) Test is a self-administered questionnaire developed to assess the presence of Autism-Spectrum traits in adults, created by Simon Baron-Cohen and his team at the Cambridge Autism Research Centre. If you would like to take the test, here is the link to the web page:

https://psychology-tools.com/test/autism-spectrum-quotient

If you score highly on this test, you are likely to be autistic and can then approach your GP to discuss the possibility of diagnosis if you wish.

• Hi John

Ross Mod has given you some pointers to advice and support for parents and carers, however in reply to question 2 - I'm not sure if it would help your son, but it may help you to find out if you are autistic.

The Autism-Spectrum Quotient (AQ) Test is a self-administered questionnaire developed to assess the presence of Autism-Spectrum traits in adults, created by Simon Baron-Cohen and his team at the Cambridge Autism Research Centre. If you would like to take the test, here is the link to the web page:

https://psychology-tools.com/test/autism-spectrum-quotient

If you score highly on this test, you are likely to be autistic and can then approach your GP to discuss the possibility of diagnosis if you wish.

Children