Stay at school or try flexi schooling?

Hi,

My child was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome about 2 years ago. After nearly 4 years of school, i have been struggling with my child to get settled in at school. When things don't go right for him he has, what we call them, meltdowns on a regular basis and he does get violent.

After searching the web, i found something called flexi schooling. Where they are at school part time and home schooled part time. Just wondering if anybody else has tried this? And if they have has it made a difference?

Can't afford to give up work and do full time home school. Any thoughts or comments would be highly apprieciated.Undecided

Parents
  • Hi

I do have experience of flexi schooling.  I do believe that if we had not gone down that route my son would not have coped with the school environment and would probably have been sent to a behavioural unit or something similar.  Saying that it is not an easy path as you have to ensure that the school, the LEA and most importantly your child is happy with the arrangement.  If you child is not pro-active in getting school work done and you are having to be constantly checking on him, it may become more stressful for you and your child and can backfire on you.  

I would suggest that if there are certain lessons that your child struggles with, then see if he can work on those subjects independently.  Maybe start with one subject and see how that goes.  Building up gradually will give him confidence in taking on other subjects (if need be) or it may come to light that flexi school is not for him or you for that matter.

Hope this helps.

• Hi

I do have experience of flexi schooling.  I do believe that if we had not gone down that route my son would not have coped with the school environment and would probably have been sent to a behavioural unit or something similar.  Saying that it is not an easy path as you have to ensure that the school, the LEA and most importantly your child is happy with the arrangement.  If you child is not pro-active in getting school work done and you are having to be constantly checking on him, it may become more stressful for you and your child and can backfire on you.  

I would suggest that if there are certain lessons that your child struggles with, then see if he can work on those subjects independently.  Maybe start with one subject and see how that goes.  Building up gradually will give him confidence in taking on other subjects (if need be) or it may come to light that flexi school is not for him or you for that matter.

Hope this helps.

Children
No Data