False memories

Hi. I'm new. I'm the parent of an adult son with ASD. 

We have a great relationship and always have. However, lately he has started making comments about memories of things that just didn't happen the way he sees them. In some cases they didn't happen at all. 

These comments are hurtful especially as I'm his main emotional support. My question is ,is this an autistic trait? If so,how do I handle it? How do I stop myself feeling so sad and frustrated by it? 

Currently I'm not saying anything but these comments are incredibly hurtful. Do I gently correct him or do I let it go? :-(

Parents
  • depends what it was.... if its based on judging a persons intent behind words or actions and perceiving that then yeah he could perceive things very differently to the point what he perceived didnt happen, such as read words or intent wrong and saw it as a attack and his mind perhaps ramped up hostility due to misreading or misunderstanding. i think i do that alot and see things as more hostile than they actually are, sometimes i read back and realise i was wrong and i overreacted to a thing that i percieved as hostile at the time but wasnt hostile at all.

but yeah if its a whole physical event that didnt happen... perhaps he dreamed it and the dream became a vague memory and he thinks its real but it was actually a old dream he remembered? 

• Same here. I was told so many times, that I got it wrong and that it was not the intention of that other person. Mostly in family. 

• i think it doesnt help that people try to do subtle snide remarks to try speak down to you in a subtle way at times so they try swipe at you without it being a open conflict... or at least i see it alot of times like that. or people do that so much that its hard to tell when people are not doing it.

• i think it doesnt help that people try to do subtle snide remarks to try speak down to you in a subtle way at times so they try swipe at you without it being a open conflict... or at least i see it alot of times like that. or people do that so much that its hard to tell when people are not doing it.

Children