Changing to special needs school

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can advise me please? My daughter is in year 6, she has learning difficulties, she's diagnosed autistic, dyslexic, dyscalcula and possibly dyspraxic. Her learning is at a pre school level. The struggle is causing her high anxiety. She is too nervous to ask for help.

I already signed her up for a mainstream high school but I've changed my mind. I would like to apply to other schools more suited for her needs. Where do I start? How do I change her school? I have considered the idea of home schooling until we find her a suitable place.

I think I need support for planning this. I am autistic myself.

Thank you for taking the time to read my message.

Parents
  • I certainly think that one-on-one tutoring, and visual learning methods, would help your daughter. She could very much excel at certain areas of interest. And it really depends on whether or not your daughter is high needs, or low needs. I went to a mainstream school growing up, so I don't really know how things would be at a special needs school. But I hope that someone else may know something, and could post resources for you. Maybe a mod could help. 

• I certainly think that one-on-one tutoring, and visual learning methods, would help your daughter. She could very much excel at certain areas of interest. And it really depends on whether or not your daughter is high needs, or low needs. I went to a mainstream school growing up, so I don't really know how things would be at a special needs school. But I hope that someone else may know something, and could post resources for you. Maybe a mod could help. 

Children
No Data