Attitude

Hello! 
My son is almost 13 and we are really struggling with the way he speaks to us at the moment and his selfish attitude to all things. Is this common with autism or is it a neurotypical behaviour for his age. 
it’s really hard to deal with and don’t know how to help the situation. I don’t have anyone I can speak to as I don’t know anyone else in the same situation. 
Thanks 

Parents
  • Is this common with autism or is it a neurotypical behaviour for his age. 

It is a common double whammy of the teenage years and the lack of understanding of others / understanding of socially appropriate behaviour that comes for many with autism.

If he is diagnised as autistic then it may be worthwhile speaking to the SENs contact at school to see if they offer any classes to educate appropriate behaviour for this sort of thing.

Failing that, alternatives may be getting him a counseller or giving him books on the subject, but expect push back on these from him.

• Is this common with autism or is it a neurotypical behaviour for his age. 

It is a common double whammy of the teenage years and the lack of understanding of others / understanding of socially appropriate behaviour that comes for many with autism.

If he is diagnised as autistic then it may be worthwhile speaking to the SENs contact at school to see if they offer any classes to educate appropriate behaviour for this sort of thing.

Failing that, alternatives may be getting him a counseller or giving him books on the subject, but expect push back on these from him.

Children
No Data