Gastro Intestinal...just a general discussion as it seems to be not looked into regarding autism

Hi I'm sure I'm not alone in that gastro intestinal issues have plagued my son since birth and he only got diagnosed with autism at 18 and he 24 now,  gastro intestinal issues seem to be a bit of a mystery concerning the connection with autism. We were always recieve sub par service from NHS and doctors  (sorry but it's true) it's like oh you got a tummy bug go away...that's it that's all you get no tests nothing. I've posted this to see what others experience is regarding GI issues are. I'm at the point now and he has asked me to do this so we will do it together..to radically change his diet..we already are healthy ie we don't do the take  out we dont do alchohol as he had a problem with that a while back and so cant have alcohol in the house and cook fresh meals 3 times at least in a week meals with veg in it  and dint eat meat etc but it's not enough he still has nausea and on occasion will vomit straight up wht he just ate. It would be interesting to hear other people's experience , has anyone had any improvement changing diet??

Parents
  • The second highest concentration of neurones (nerve cells) after the brain is in the gut. Autism is linked to neuronal architecture and function in the brain, so it is no great surprise that comorbid gut problems also exist.

I have diverticular disease and IBS, I also have an ever changing kaleidoscope of food and drink intolerances. At the moment this includes: brewers/bakers yeast (no cask beer, no leavened bread), sulphites in anything, but mostly wine, pineapple, spinach and potato (yes, the innocuous potato). I also need to watch the amount of red meat I eat, as too much gives me horrible indigestion - 'praying for death' type indigestion.

• Sound like you got a whole laundry list if issues with food ...

I copy paste this am sure you are already aware of these
  • I cut down drastically on dairy foods and drink, mostly replaced with oat-derived products, and I was surprised how much better my guts were as a result. However, there is no hope of me forsaking onions, they are the basis of most of the things I like and cook..

• I cut down drastically on dairy foods and drink, mostly replaced with oat-derived products, and I was surprised how much better my guts were as a result. However, there is no hope of me forsaking onions, they are the basis of most of the things I like and cook..

Children
No Data