Toddler not coping in nursery

Hi all, hope your all well. I just would like a bit of advice. I have a daughter who is currently 2 years and 3 months, she has been diagnosed by her paediatrician with developmental delay and is awaiting a diagnosis of ASD, (waiting on SALT report). My daughter has severe sensory issues. She struggles profoundly with noise, bright lights and large groups. I recently applied for an EHCP for her but was declined due to “her meeting the criteria but as the paediatrician report wasn’t finalised we haven’t got enough evidence of her needs” the EHCP panel also advised me to put her into nursery to “see the impact of the support that’s ordinarily available”. I have now put her into a nursery which she is not coping in. She’s currently done 4 sessions and each time she has cried uncontrollably and when I get her home she has had severe meltdowns. I have explained to the nursery numerous times about her sensory difficulties and why she struggles and even though we have reduced her sessions to just half an hour she still can’t cope there. I really don’t want to send her back as I can see she’s struggling to cope but if I take her out now and reapply for her EHCP they are going to say I’ve not left her long enough in nursery to get used to it. 
I would like your advice on what you think I should do, also if I was to take her out of nursery how long would I have to leave her in there so that they can’t just blame it on her not having time to adjust. 
thanks 

Parents
  • Hiya, 

Unfortunately my son had a very similar rubbish time in nursery, turns out so did many of the other children who went to nursery in his class. 

We picked our nursery  based on them being told all the info and told me they can help. They were shocking. I spoke to the paed about it and she said he needs that time to discover himself and his own boundaries in the real world. I used all my holiday in a one and took him out 2 months before he was due to start school. 

• Bless him, how does he cope now in school? 

• Truthfully, he copes inside fantastic. He's engaged and learning. At the gate leaving me is a bit touch and go especially after the half terms.

Our local school has a SEN unit attached. 

I had a meeting just last month and our SENCO cannot believe its the same child she saw in nursery. 

• Thank you. It was a journey that seemed so long, I really think your situation will eventually be better but you obviously need something for now.

My daughter would not have coped in a nursery and I put her in with a child minder which had alot less children and noise. Have you thought about this? It doesn't have to be a nursery to get the support. 

For my son as no Child minders were available, I found the smallest nursery I could. He didn't do well but it was the best of a bad bunch at the time, it added additional miles to my journey but was better than nothing.

• Thank you. It was a journey that seemed so long, I really think your situation will eventually be better but you obviously need something for now.

My daughter would not have coped in a nursery and I put her in with a child minder which had alot less children and noise. Have you thought about this? It doesn't have to be a nursery to get the support. 

For my son as no Child minders were available, I found the smallest nursery I could. He didn't do well but it was the best of a bad bunch at the time, it added additional miles to my journey but was better than nothing.

Children
No Data