School and anxiety

Hi,

My child is on the umbrella pathway and is finding school really difficult. Her attendance has dropped to just above 60%. I’ve met with the Ed psychologist and they are due to meet her soon. Has anyone got any advice about how to help her with anxiety? Any techniques others with ASD have found helpful. Fully appreciate that everyone is different but it’s utterly heartbreaking seeing your teen so worried. She currently doesn’t have an EHCP but this is my next battle. Thank you 

Parents
  • Hi Fizz,

My daughter was diagnosed on the spectrum through her high school years, and from a parents point of view it was heartbreaking. However the school itself were brilliant, it took a couple of years till we got the diagnosis but the school did all they could to help, from 5 minutes passes to leave class so they didn't get overwhelmed with everyone leaving classes at the same time, to eating in the head of years room with one or two of the small circle of friends they had. Fidget toys helped in class and headphones helped when not in class. As for exams in year 11, they allowed her to either be right at the back of the exam room (she didn't like anyone behind for in class) or even had a separate room to do the exam. So I would talk to the school, see if they can do anything to help.

• Thank you for replying… My daughter is at secondary school. School are trying to be flexible, she leaves lessons early and has passes to leave during lessons so if things become too much but, she’s not good at doing anything that makes her different to her peers. She has discreet ear plugs and will use, just not at school. She won’t eat at school. I have asked about somewhere quieter but I think she’ll only do this if all her friends can eat with her too rather than just one or two of them. 

• Thank you for replying… My daughter is at secondary school. School are trying to be flexible, she leaves lessons early and has passes to leave during lessons so if things become too much but, she’s not good at doing anything that makes her different to her peers. She has discreet ear plugs and will use, just not at school. She won’t eat at school. I have asked about somewhere quieter but I think she’ll only do this if all her friends can eat with her too rather than just one or two of them. 

Children
No Data