Newly diagnosed husband aged 51

How do I help my newly diagnosed husband who is 51 and is struggling. He is spiralling out of control and I don’t know how to help him. He has started seeing a counsellor who is also autistic but he’s only had 2 sessions and so far it’s not really helping. 

Parents
  • I went through that. It's a big shock to the system.

If you want to help him, remind him that he's still the bloke you fell in love with, and point out his good bits. 

It's very easy to focus on the "oh ***, I'll probably NEVER be the person I thought I could be" part... 

It'll most likely end up better than it was for you both, but it took me THREE years to get over the diagnosis, and I'm still not quite sure I am there.

• I went through that. It's a big shock to the system.

If you want to help him, remind him that he's still the bloke you fell in love with, and point out his good bits. 

It's very easy to focus on the "oh ***, I'll probably NEVER be the person I thought I could be" part... 

It'll most likely end up better than it was for you both, but it took me THREE years to get over the diagnosis, and I'm still not quite sure I am there.

Children
  • It's very easy to focus on the "oh ***, I'll probably NEVER be the person I thought I could be" part... 

Yes, I'm still dug in to that at the moment. It's helpful to hear I'm not alone with that situation Thumbsup I was diagnosed in November 2021 aged 48 and so am now 50 too (not 52) Upside down