Shocked and need to vent: Have you faced such obvious discrimination from such a large company that should be family friendly? HAMLEYS Toy store

Hi everybody

I apologise that my first post is a bit of a vent, but I'm so shocked.

Short version: Hamleys Toy store told me not to bring an autistic child during December.

So, although I am the parent of ND children, I am also supporting a child whose needs are much higher than my own children's. I wanted to plan a special day for him and take him to see one of the major toy stores in London, see the lights and window displays etc I wanted to plan in case he became over stimulated, so contacted Hamleys, Harrods and Selfridges to ask about their disability policies and to ask if they had quiet areas, quiet times or suggestions for bringing an autistic child to visit.

Selfridges were amazing. They were kind, welcoming and said they have a quiet hour for customers with sensory needs. Really quick to respond too. 

https://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/features/info/quiet-hour

Harrods said they do not have designated quiet areas, but customers are welcome to step into changing rooms to rest. They warned there were no quiet times during December. Replied within a few hours.

Hamleys.... shocked is an understatement.

I said specifically I had a query about their disabled access policy and asked (as an example) if they had a quiet area. The reply was "don't bring him". They prettied it up some. But i QUOTE "We're sorry we could not accommodate you on this occasion".

Isn't this against the Equality Act? Is it common to come across discrimination as blatant as this?

I have replied to the message and also emailed customer service asking them to investigate and train their staff in inclusion. 

Has anybody got similar experiences to share? How did you deal with this? 

Parents
  • Unfortunately, the bigger problem here is an issue of compatibility. 

We live in a society driven by economics. If you have the money, you can shut down Hamleys for the day so no one is allowed to go. A film company might do this. 

There are so many places which one won't be accommodated. A butchers shop might not have anything for someone to eat if they're vegan. Should they be forced to change? A sport might not have accommodation for someone who doesn't like violence and wants to sit somewhere quiet. Do we change how the sport is played? By design, these are incompatible.

I live in a whole society where the Law is actually enforcing a cruelty harmful to me, by a mass overhaul toward unnatural lighting. For some this cause migraines, epileptic fits, can be more dangerous to the circadian rhythm of some, offsetting the endocrine system human system for those who cannot desensitise the same. Most will experience flash blindness and can be harmful to the retina, especially in infants and small children. The legal system is not always on our side. Thankfully, there are organisations all over the EU and in the UK working to help add a clause into the law, such as lightaware.org. But the larger problem is the economics - companies have stopped making more natural sources of light which mimic the sun. So where do you buy a filament bulb?

When I have to go to London for work, I try to avoid staying out too late. I don't go during the winter if I can help it. Travelling from windowless airports to the plane into another airport and arriving in a hotel with no natural light sources at night is exceptionally painful and who can sleep with a migraine. So, for someone like me, the very last place I find enjoyable is an overwhelming shop with too many narrow-band unnatural lights, too much stuff, with the added chaos of all sensory input - smells, sounds (even if turned down), and so on.

We're not just working against a lack of refreshed knowledge on inclusion, but a whole Majority who actually likes surprises and novelty and has desensitised to the point they enjoy overwhelming stimulus, even shock. This is a polarity. And if that majority is keeping a shop from closing its doors, the law probably won't hinder it from existing as is: feeding the economy so the whole nation can flourish. 

These are all part of what is understood in the philosophy of 'might is right', I'm sorry to say. 

Most autistics might not fight these things, as we may have become accustomed to being marginalised - to a small or extensive degree. There's only so much time in the day and I'd rather spend it in nature or at the Library anyway :) 

I understand the excitement of the city and wanting to get out. This is just a different perspective and maybe one you've thought of. But a walk in the woods collecting branches and bits for making holiday wreaths and all kinds of creative projects at home build a lasting sense of connexion and can be much less stressful.

• Unfortunately, the bigger problem here is an issue of compatibility. 

We live in a society driven by economics. If you have the money, you can shut down Hamleys for the day so no one is allowed to go. A film company might do this. 

There are so many places which one won't be accommodated. A butchers shop might not have anything for someone to eat if they're vegan. Should they be forced to change? A sport might not have accommodation for someone who doesn't like violence and wants to sit somewhere quiet. Do we change how the sport is played? By design, these are incompatible.

I live in a whole society where the Law is actually enforcing a cruelty harmful to me, by a mass overhaul toward unnatural lighting. For some this cause migraines, epileptic fits, can be more dangerous to the circadian rhythm of some, offsetting the endocrine system human system for those who cannot desensitise the same. Most will experience flash blindness and can be harmful to the retina, especially in infants and small children. The legal system is not always on our side. Thankfully, there are organisations all over the EU and in the UK working to help add a clause into the law, such as lightaware.org. But the larger problem is the economics - companies have stopped making more natural sources of light which mimic the sun. So where do you buy a filament bulb?

When I have to go to London for work, I try to avoid staying out too late. I don't go during the winter if I can help it. Travelling from windowless airports to the plane into another airport and arriving in a hotel with no natural light sources at night is exceptionally painful and who can sleep with a migraine. So, for someone like me, the very last place I find enjoyable is an overwhelming shop with too many narrow-band unnatural lights, too much stuff, with the added chaos of all sensory input - smells, sounds (even if turned down), and so on.

We're not just working against a lack of refreshed knowledge on inclusion, but a whole Majority who actually likes surprises and novelty and has desensitised to the point they enjoy overwhelming stimulus, even shock. This is a polarity. And if that majority is keeping a shop from closing its doors, the law probably won't hinder it from existing as is: feeding the economy so the whole nation can flourish. 

These are all part of what is understood in the philosophy of 'might is right', I'm sorry to say. 

Most autistics might not fight these things, as we may have become accustomed to being marginalised - to a small or extensive degree. There's only so much time in the day and I'd rather spend it in nature or at the Library anyway :) 

I understand the excitement of the city and wanting to get out. This is just a different perspective and maybe one you've thought of. But a walk in the woods collecting branches and bits for making holiday wreaths and all kinds of creative projects at home build a lasting sense of connexion and can be much less stressful.

Children
No Data