Knowing when to let him be or continue with boundaries

Hi all

my 10 year old son is autistic (high functioning)

he is pretty good as long as things are ticking along nicely.  I just never quite know when enough is enough.  For example bedtime. I ask him to clean his teeth, we then usually have a book or chat and then it’s time for him to settle down to sleep.  that’s the routine.

however sometimes he we say things like oh I just need some cereal or I just need to sort through all my Pokémon cards.  This easily becomes an issue for him and he becomes stressed.  If I then say it’s a little late to be doing that now world war 3 can break out.  So do I let him do it or do I continue with boundaries??

does this make sense ?

Parents
  • I know that for me, I get bothered when im in the middle of somthing and I get disupted to do something else. Or sometimes It will be the middle of the night and I wake up, needing to do something (like check if my sock is in the drawer the right way), it may not make sense to do right then, there might be something more important or it could wait till later. But like with the sock in the drawer thing, I wont be able to sleep again or think of anything else until I check. 

I would try to figure out which things he is wanting to do because he needs to, and what things he is wanting to do but it wont bother him if he cant (maybe there is a certain behavior so you can tell when its one of those moments?). Or maybe he would be open to compromises?

• I know that for me, I get bothered when im in the middle of somthing and I get disupted to do something else. Or sometimes It will be the middle of the night and I wake up, needing to do something (like check if my sock is in the drawer the right way), it may not make sense to do right then, there might be something more important or it could wait till later. But like with the sock in the drawer thing, I wont be able to sleep again or think of anything else until I check. 

I would try to figure out which things he is wanting to do because he needs to, and what things he is wanting to do but it wont bother him if he cant (maybe there is a certain behavior so you can tell when its one of those moments?). Or maybe he would be open to compromises?

Children
No Data