My autistic teenage son hates me

My son was diagnosed with autism about 18 mths ago, since then he's been aggressive abusive isolating himself from his entire family he says he hates us all, he sleeps all day and wakes up at night and cooks his own meals he refuses to speak to me, I'm so worried. He's seeing a psychiatrist but that's not helping at all ,I'm at my wits end he's 15 I'm so worried he's going to end up hurting himself has anyone else experienced this any advice would be much appreciated thankyou .

Parents
  • As this has been since he got the diagnosis specifically..... 

Do you have any sense about what it is about the diagnosis that may be hurting him? Is it the stigma, something about the way autism has been defined to him. that has upset him? Does he feel less of a 'man' because of it? Does he maybe feel that you now treat him differently, more as a disabled person because of it? Does he possibly now feel 'downgraded' with less value as a human being because of how he understands his diagnosis? 

Does he, however, unfairly, blame you because of perceived mistakes in his upbringing, or in terms of genes?

Those possibly are the issues that need to è addressed, along with any fears your son might have about his potentisl for becoming an independent adult. He is still the same boy he was  before he got the diagnosis, after all. 

• As this has been since he got the diagnosis specifically..... 

Do you have any sense about what it is about the diagnosis that may be hurting him? Is it the stigma, something about the way autism has been defined to him. that has upset him? Does he feel less of a 'man' because of it? Does he maybe feel that you now treat him differently, more as a disabled person because of it? Does he possibly now feel 'downgraded' with less value as a human being because of how he understands his diagnosis? 

Does he, however, unfairly, blame you because of perceived mistakes in his upbringing, or in terms of genes?

Those possibly are the issues that need to è addressed, along with any fears your son might have about his potentisl for becoming an independent adult. He is still the same boy he was  before he got the diagnosis, after all. 

Children
No Data