My autistic teenage son hates me

My son was diagnosed with autism about 18 mths ago, since then he's been aggressive abusive isolating himself from his entire family he says he hates us all, he sleeps all day and wakes up at night and cooks his own meals he refuses to speak to me, I'm so worried. He's seeing a psychiatrist but that's not helping at all ,I'm at my wits end he's 15 I'm so worried he's going to end up hurting himself has anyone else experienced this any advice would be much appreciated thankyou .

Parents
  • If you haven’t already could you try other ways of communicating? Writing a letter to him not a long emotional one just a few short sentences and giving him the paper & pen with the hope he may write one back to you? Or emailing each other?

Maybe your son can’t process his diagnosis? Was he fully on board with the process? He maybe struggling to accept being diagnosed? Maybe he’s angry that it wasn’t picked up earlier? 

I fully agree that seeing a psychiatrist once per month is not enough. I see my nhs CPN every month for 1 hour, it’s just not enough to be effective.

I hope your relationship with your son gets better. 

• If you haven’t already could you try other ways of communicating? Writing a letter to him not a long emotional one just a few short sentences and giving him the paper & pen with the hope he may write one back to you? Or emailing each other?

Maybe your son can’t process his diagnosis? Was he fully on board with the process? He maybe struggling to accept being diagnosed? Maybe he’s angry that it wasn’t picked up earlier? 

I fully agree that seeing a psychiatrist once per month is not enough. I see my nhs CPN every month for 1 hour, it’s just not enough to be effective.

I hope your relationship with your son gets better. 

Children
No Data