My autistic teenage son hates me

My son was diagnosed with autism about 18 mths ago, since then he's been aggressive abusive isolating himself from his entire family he says he hates us all, he sleeps all day and wakes up at night and cooks his own meals he refuses to speak to me, I'm so worried. He's seeing a psychiatrist but that's not helping at all ,I'm at my wits end he's 15 I'm so worried he's going to end up hurting himself has anyone else experienced this any advice would be much appreciated thankyou .

Parents
  • It's not you that he hates, it's the position he's found himself in. All of a sudden the world and his place in it look different. It's hard for any teenager to feel they fit in but even harder for him. If the aggression is verbal, I would say let him get it out without challenging it. Stay calm and don't take it personally. He's angry and needs to express it, so let him do it safely. If anything, the hatred you see is expressed towards you and the family because that is where he feels safe to express it. Have faith that he'll come back to you once he's gone through this. 

• It's not you that he hates, it's the position he's found himself in. All of a sudden the world and his place in it look different. It's hard for any teenager to feel they fit in but even harder for him. If the aggression is verbal, I would say let him get it out without challenging it. Stay calm and don't take it personally. He's angry and needs to express it, so let him do it safely. If anything, the hatred you see is expressed towards you and the family because that is where he feels safe to express it. Have faith that he'll come back to you once he's gone through this. 

Children
No Data