Welcoming new child and family to our school

Hi everyone,

I have been a teacher for several years and teach at a mainstream primary school. 

My new class in September will include a child with autism.

Thankfully a statement is already in place for 20hrs support and we have a lovely and experienced TA in place.

I was hoping for some advice on how best to start off my relationship with this child and their family. More focusing on the family really as I know each child with asd is unique and their specific needs, abilities and interests vary.

I know that sending your child to school for the first time is a scary experience in itself. What would you have liked your child's teacher to do, ask or offer?

Is there anything I should avoid? (I'm thinking of the type of 'well-meaning' things which actually cause upset.)  

I also have the opportunity to reorganise my classroom completely in September as we are having building work during August. If anyone has any suggestions for spaces I should create in the classroom or things I should avoid that would be great.

My main concern is that this child should have a safe and happy space to explore and grow for their first year in school and that their parents should feel welcomed and supported by our school.

Parents
  • Hi - this probably won't be helpful to you because I'm sure you wouldn't do anything this insensitive anyway, but I'm glad you mentioned the well-meaning things that cause upset. I have Asperger's and when I was at primary school, my teacher devised a "friendship rota" for me which got handed around to every child in the class and their parents, and this caused much more harm than good and I remember it being a very uncomfortable, embarrassing experience. Having this memory, it's brilliant for me to see that teachers are asking for advice rather than just doing their own thing and it ending in someone being made unhappy. Best of luck with your new class - but have a lovely summer off first! Smile

• Hi - this probably won't be helpful to you because I'm sure you wouldn't do anything this insensitive anyway, but I'm glad you mentioned the well-meaning things that cause upset. I have Asperger's and when I was at primary school, my teacher devised a "friendship rota" for me which got handed around to every child in the class and their parents, and this caused much more harm than good and I remember it being a very uncomfortable, embarrassing experience. Having this memory, it's brilliant for me to see that teachers are asking for advice rather than just doing their own thing and it ending in someone being made unhappy. Best of luck with your new class - but have a lovely summer off first! Smile

Children
No Data