How do you recover after a meltdown?

One thing I've never been able to understand or help my daughter with is the aftermath of a meltdown. Yes, she has meltdowns and struggles on a weekly basis and I can help her with that but it's the bigger ones I can't. 

The ones she has in school I'm talking about. She is still shaken up from Wednesday's meltdown at school. She hasn't been settled at all and is on edge and is constantly pacing and crying. The school never told me that she had a meltdown and was restrained and held for ages, and she came home battered and bruised. I only found out because my daughter told me otherwise Id have no clue. The hardest part is the recovery and aftermath of the meltdown for her. 

I want to help her more and understand so if anyone is able to tell me what helps them after to decompress and relax, that will be amazing. Thanks x

Parents
  • For me after a meltdown its just space and being given time to recover. Ask me once if I’m okay, is not really fine, I will answer and it may not be verbal, keep asking me and it becomes worse. Recovery isn’t often just over one day. It’s very much as if I have been drained. Music and favourite films is where I disappear to and sleep when there is no pressure. I posted this earlier about parenting autistic children, it’s a series of podcasts all about parents trying to school autistic children. Mainstream schools often aren’t the best place. Your daughter’s meltdowns are most probably the pressure of her school environment.

There are parents who have tried everything within mainstream schooling, it’s often just not suitable, the longer the children go to school just makes the next day so much harder.

Reply Children
No Data