How do you recover after a meltdown?

One thing I've never been able to understand or help my daughter with is the aftermath of a meltdown. Yes, she has meltdowns and struggles on a weekly basis and I can help her with that but it's the bigger ones I can't. 

The ones she has in school I'm talking about. She is still shaken up from Wednesday's meltdown at school. She hasn't been settled at all and is on edge and is constantly pacing and crying. The school never told me that she had a meltdown and was restrained and held for ages, and she came home battered and bruised. I only found out because my daughter told me otherwise Id have no clue. The hardest part is the recovery and aftermath of the meltdown for her. 

I want to help her more and understand so if anyone is able to tell me what helps them after to decompress and relax, that will be amazing. Thanks x

Parents
  • It might be different for adults (or not!) but I need time alone and to engage in fun activities. Specifically, if your daughter has some 'special interests' or behaviors that occupy her attention. 

I like burning energy by working out, and learning in depth about new topics. Also some gaming and organizing things. Everyone is different, but I believe having a mix of physical and mental activities is important. Sport is great if you can find one/a few that she likes, as it combines both.

• It might be different for adults (or not!) but I need time alone and to engage in fun activities. Specifically, if your daughter has some 'special interests' or behaviors that occupy her attention. 

I like burning energy by working out, and learning in depth about new topics. Also some gaming and organizing things. Everyone is different, but I believe having a mix of physical and mental activities is important. Sport is great if you can find one/a few that she likes, as it combines both.

Children
No Data