Developing interests and hobbies

My daughter is 11 diagnosed with ASD during the pandemic. She is artistic, musical and can sing  in tune and reasonably good at running. She certainly would not be in the gifted range  for these things but she does have  flair and would be above average. Honestly, I would love to have had these gifts myself!

However she does not want to develop these interests.  Does not want to take an art class, refuses to sing at trial singing lessons, will not join a choir, wants to quit piano etc etc At home, she hides in her room and listens to audio books or play on the ipad. I have suggested group music lessons which she says is the worst thing. She says she hates art and does not like running. We have told her that we want her to find a hobby or interest that she loves doing-she is even not interested in learning how to create her own computer games. I find this a bit strange because usually people like doing things they are good at.

I would like her to develop a few of her talents because I know that it will help her in her some way  in the future- mentally, emotionally and physically ( or even lead to future employment) but I do not know whether it is wise to insist  she joins in the  extra curricular classes  that will develop these talents- taking into account that  she is autistic and also is it right to insist?. If you do think I should insist, how many classes would be reasonable for an 11 year old autistic child? I do not want to overload her and I  am not sure of what a good balance looks like.

Alternatively any ideas on how we can find her a hobby since she seems so reluctant to try things.

I also find  this situation a bit strange as I thought most people with ASD naturally gravitated towards an interest and this interest becomes all consuming for them...

Your experience and wisdom appreciated.

Parents Reply Children