My Son doesn’t like to eat.

Hi, 

My Son is 3 years old, and non verbal, he has always been really difficult to feed, he doesn’t feed himself and can only have foods that he can swallow straight down because he doesn’t chew. All his foods are mainly blended, he doesn’t eat any solid food or meltable snacks. Meal times are always really difficult, it takes a long time for my son to eat a meal he constantly pushes the spoon away, or head butts the spoon, won’t open his mouth or just turns his head away. We make a variety of different meals and the outcome is always the same.
Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any ideas as to what we can try? 
we have had a feeding assessment but it wasn’t any use, all they have said is that until my son starts feeding himself there isn’t much help they can give. 

Thank you.

Parents
  • My grandmother would always say children will eat when they're hungry DO NOT force feed them. 

So I would give my son 2-3 items: 2-3 small peas. 2-3 Cheerios. a few finger food items and when he was done pop a few more on his tray. I would continue this in the car. I would pass him one item at a time. Eventually he would have enough and refuse. 

We have many dietary issues in our family as well. My son is allergic to eggs and cannot have pork. I have severe grain/legume/high fibre veg allergies. I'm following a FODMAP diet guideline for now,  as it does cover most of the known allergens individuals with IBS deal with. 

They don't need much when they're young. But I would definitely work out if he allergies/intolerances. 

• My grandmother would always say children will eat when they're hungry DO NOT force feed them. 

So I would give my son 2-3 items: 2-3 small peas. 2-3 Cheerios. a few finger food items and when he was done pop a few more on his tray. I would continue this in the car. I would pass him one item at a time. Eventually he would have enough and refuse. 

We have many dietary issues in our family as well. My son is allergic to eggs and cannot have pork. I have severe grain/legume/high fibre veg allergies. I'm following a FODMAP diet guideline for now,  as it does cover most of the known allergens individuals with IBS deal with. 

They don't need much when they're young. But I would definitely work out if he allergies/intolerances. 

Children