My 12 year old daughter has SPD

My daughter is 12 and had SPD sensory processing difficulties!! And we have just started the autism  assessment. she’s at high school year 8 we have lots of concerns but one main one at the moment is underwear I can not get her to wear underwear, this is very upsetting as she has started her period as well and won’t wear knickers has anyone come across this situation and what things have you tried to help overcome this problem 

karen x

Parents
  • Is she frustrated by feeling constricted or by the fabric either not fitting properly or what it's made from? 

One suggestion is to buy a little more better quality & just 8 pairs of the same if they work either from mostly cotton or marino wool. Here are a few links I might suggest

Living Crafts is amazing for organic fabrics that fit well. You might want to size up to Womens at this point. Also CUT can be really important. the "Boy shorts" cut is nice as they don't go up to the waist. Massive knickers, which roll all the way to the waist, can feel like one is being taken over by far too much fabric. And then if they bunch up a bit it's all one can focus on. 

If you haven't tried something like these, one of each might work. She might be able to eventually wear them in a year if not now, so it won't be a waste at least having them.

Natural cotton https://www.cambridgebaby.co.uk/catalog/women/womens-pants-bras/womens-shorts-in-organic-cotton?zenid=somvf9eiq5l2re62e2d6l5v8u0 

Wool (for women and children) uk.dilling.com/.../

• Is she frustrated by feeling constricted or by the fabric either not fitting properly or what it's made from? 

One suggestion is to buy a little more better quality & just 8 pairs of the same if they work either from mostly cotton or marino wool. Here are a few links I might suggest

Living Crafts is amazing for organic fabrics that fit well. You might want to size up to Womens at this point. Also CUT can be really important. the "Boy shorts" cut is nice as they don't go up to the waist. Massive knickers, which roll all the way to the waist, can feel like one is being taken over by far too much fabric. And then if they bunch up a bit it's all one can focus on. 

If you haven't tried something like these, one of each might work. She might be able to eventually wear them in a year if not now, so it won't be a waste at least having them.

Natural cotton https://www.cambridgebaby.co.uk/catalog/women/womens-pants-bras/womens-shorts-in-organic-cotton?zenid=somvf9eiq5l2re62e2d6l5v8u0 

Wool (for women and children) uk.dilling.com/.../

Children