New here. Autistic traits in 19 month old son

Good morning, I hope you are all well.

Not sure where to start with this to be honest so bare with me. By beautiful son has always struggled with milestones (I hate that word!) but at 19 months he’s showing A LOT of early signs of autism, the health visitor is due out next week, his childminder is on board with me and agrees that he is showing traits. He’s incredibly bright and otherwise a very happy baby boy. Not sure whether to add in where he is in development but the question I would like to ask is:

whilst we are going to though health visitor and getting him any help and support he needs… what can I do now to help him feel more comfortable? 

He can’t feed himself, we’ve been trying to Get him to use spoon but literally does not make the connection. I can feed him a yogurt and pass him over the same spoon and he has never put it anywhere near his mouth. Do I carry on just feeding him as I always have or can any one recommend anything to help him make the connection between spoon and eating? 

His walking is clumsy at best (in a respectful way), any ideas to help him be more steady on his feet?

He doesn’t know who we are. I mean he knows we feed himself be he’s safe but doesn’t know the difference between mummy, daddy and his siblings. Any recommendations? We show photos and say there’s mummy, daddy, etc but he just doesn’t get it. We’ve never had separation anxiety, which in a away is nice but I know he should have some sort of bind with us!! 

Speech: he can say dada but that’s about it, he babbles constantly but with no conviction and not to anyone with no eye contact? Any help? 

sorry it’s a long one, there’s more but Rome wasn’t built in a day and I know I’m going to need professional help just a little something to go because i feel pretty useless at the minute. 

Debbie x

• Hello @Debbie,

Thank you for sharing this with the community. You may like to look at our information about autism spectrum disorders:
    https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/what-is-autism

If you were interested in finding out if your son is on the autism spectrum, you would need to have a formal diagnostic assessment. You may find it useful to have a look at the following link for further information about diagnosis and the benefits of getting one:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/diagnosis

Furthermore, it is important the professional you see has experience of autism spectrum disorders. You can find details of diagnostic services on our Autism Services Directory in the Assessment and diagnosis section: http://www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx

All the best,

ChloeMod

• Hi Debbie,

Unfortunately, I do not think that anyone can answer your questions here purely because your son is an unique little person with his own unique strengths and weaknesses. Provided he really is on the spectrum, you will need professional help to best support him. I can think of clinical psychologists, SLT, OT and so on. For now, what I feel like suggesting is that you read as much as you can. That is what I have done. Do not feel useless and stay positive. All your child needs is your love and support. Go with your instinct. You will all be OK.

Best wishes