Managing Anger

Hi, 

My 11-year-old son suffers really badly from intense feelings of anger. Anything and everything can set him off at a moment's notice, which results in him smashing and destroying things.

Once he is calm, he always regrets his outbursts and he genuinely can not control his angry feelings.

He needs to learn how to recognize his feelings and how to control his anger in a safe way. I'm not sure what I can do to help him? Has anyone got any advice?

Thanks 

Parents
  • I would echo Caelus, a physical outlet of some sort will really help. I still have issues with angry outbursts and trying to remove myself before I get to that point (only diagnosed this year at 27). 

Over the years especially as a teenager football really helped me. I have kicked the ball as hard as I could for many years when I'm having those moments and it's much easier to come down from that kind of outburst than when I was being destructive inside. I did break fence panels and a few plant pots this way but soon got a rebounder net so I could do this without too much noise or damage.

Sometimes it's hard to avoid feeling that way and it can come out of nowhere but having a way to let it all out physically in that moment that isn't going to upset anyone else or cause any real harm will definitely help.

• I would echo Caelus, a physical outlet of some sort will really help. I still have issues with angry outbursts and trying to remove myself before I get to that point (only diagnosed this year at 27). 

Over the years especially as a teenager football really helped me. I have kicked the ball as hard as I could for many years when I'm having those moments and it's much easier to come down from that kind of outburst than when I was being destructive inside. I did break fence panels and a few plant pots this way but soon got a rebounder net so I could do this without too much noise or damage.

Sometimes it's hard to avoid feeling that way and it can come out of nowhere but having a way to let it all out physically in that moment that isn't going to upset anyone else or cause any real harm will definitely help.

Children
No Data