Do You Think High and Low-functioning Should Be Used?

I prefer to use autism or ASD because I believe high and low-functioning autism creates a false perception of The Autism Spectrum. To me and I imagine many others, low-functioning and high-functioning create the image of a horizontal line with one side saying "most autistic" and the other side saying "least autistic", especially since I hear people say "end of the spectrum." 

I see The Autism Spectrum as more of a circle divided with each section representing a difficulty, with the individual in the centre having a variation of difficulties with differing levels of severity to one another. Like someone described as low-functioning may be able to walk through shops with no oversensitivity while someone described as high-functioning can have a higher level of severity in sensory processing that it's too hard and not be able to.

Do you think we should avoid the use of high and low-functioning as they're not clinical terms anyway?

Parents
  • In my experience, the range is used to make decisions on the level of support offered.      High functioning = tough luck.

Naturally, the rating is done by an NT based on other NT's observations on that particular day while performing certain tasks.

As you say, just because I'm classed as high functioning, it just means I'm better at hiding the anxiety and stress I'm feeling.

It might also mean I'm dumb for hiding that stress.

• There's a comedian called Hannah Gadsby who was diagnosed as an adult and in one of her TV specials she says, "I have what is termed as 'High functioning autism'. That's a TERRIBLE name for what I have because it implies that I function *highly*. I do not!". And I agree with her. I function. But I can't say I function highly. You're right though,  it's to do with the support needed. Low functioning: needs support, possibly lots of it. High functioning: needs less support, probably offered none! Why they don't just change it to high support or low support, I don't know. 

• I thought they'd re-named it Levels One, Two and Thee, which I find much more acceptable.

'Low Functioning' is a brutal term.

Ben

• The level is a suggestion of the level of support needed giving to you by the professional who diagnosed you and its being abandoned because like functional labels it was being used wrongly to deny individuals access to support. 

An autistic individuals ability can often deteriorate or improve depending on major life events. Level of ability never stays consistent and ability can be impacted by relationships and major life event like employment, education or age appropriate life milestones like moving in out of childhood home. 

The level system is also useless to the significant group of autistic individuals that actively hide and mask as professionals will never gauge the difficulties an individual is truly having in a few diagnostic assessment sessions. 

The level is also pointless if the individual has multiple comorbid condition like dyslexia and ADHD.  

• Daniel, my written diagnosis states 'High Functioning' and I can assure you that I was assessed by a group of accredited professionals here in the UK.

Ben

• It depends where you're based, some areas (and countries) officially used the term until the diagnostics manual changed. Even now it's still used occasionally. A woman in my local group has it in black and white in her recently received assessment report "ASD, Level 1, high functioning". It's wrong but it happens. And you don't 'have' to correct them, you 'want' to correct them. Lol! I'm the same! 

• It depends where you're based, some areas (and countries) officially used the term until the diagnostics manual changed. Even now it's still used occasionally. A woman in my local group has it in black and white in her recently received assessment report "ASD, Level 1, high functioning". It's wrong but it happens. And you don't 'have' to correct them, you 'want' to correct them. Lol! I'm the same! 

Children
No Data