Pinching autistic child ..... help

Hey , i have a 17 year old son who's on the spectrum with right hemiplegia and arfid a eating disorder, ive spent the last 17  years  fighting for help from different therapists , schools , colleges and dealing with his ehcp! Ive been on parenting courses and learnt alot ! Ive since had a daughter who is 10 , and i have now got a 2.5 year old son who was diagnosed with autism and adhd .  So having d3alt with numerous outbursts meltdowns kicking hitting ! Ive never experienced such behaviour that im getting from my youngest son ! Its constant .... he pinches scratches and shakes grirting his teeth whilst doing it ! He doesn't  talk , he babbles and says purple and pizza but  thats about all ! He can be playing  happily on the trampoline with my daughter and scratch her legs or face ,  or he will walk past whilst im cooking and grab hold of my  legs ! If he cant find  bare skin he will pinch my ankles! He does this to everyone apart from at  his nursery ! Even bedtime when he is asleep , suddenly a hand comes from up the pillow and pinches you ! Ive tried every different way i know , but its beginning to get me down and it hurts ! Im covered in bruises.  But he has now started to pinch my dogs ! The dogs  were bought due to my eldest sons fear so they cannot be given up as he will have a meltdown ! And be broken hearted !  Id be grateful  for any advice !! 

Many thanks Blush

• Hi auri2728,

Thank you for sharing this with our community! While we are hoping other members share their thoughts, you might like to take a look at our resources below.

Individuals on the spectrum can often display behaviour that may be challenging. There will generally be a reason for this and it is important to try and understand the trigger for the behaviour when developing strategies. https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/behaviour

You may like to have a look at the following link for more information on behaviour and strategies:

You may be interested in seeking some professional support regarding the behaviour. You can search for professionals in your area we are aware of on the Autism Services Directory: www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Eunice Mod

• Goodness, you must be exhausted. You certainly can't go on being battered and bruised by your toddler. I'd also be concerned that if he pinches the dogs, they might turn and bite him, however well behaved they are otherwise.

You need some expert interventions with this I think. Have you talked to your GP?

Interesting that this doesn't happen at his nursery.  Have a chat with them to see if there's anything about the environment and the approach that may be stopping that there.

I hope some other parents might have seen something like this and have better advice for you.