HOW DO YOU CALM A VIOLENT TEEN???

How do you calm down a violent teen? 

My 14 y.o can become extremely aggressive and violent and nothing can calm her down...

I need help since I have no clue how to keep her and my other kids safe... 

This morning she became distressed when her sister (13 years) sprayed something in the bedroom. My teen (with autism) then told her not to and started closing the curtains in their bedroom (which they share). My other teen then opened  the curtains and the window then hell kicked off...

My teen (with autism) shut them again, then my other daughter told her not to. 

Anyways.... they started fighting and I tried splitting them up since they were screaming, kicking, punching, and when I thought is was over, it started again... But my autistic daughter grabbed a pair of scissors and wanted to stab her sister with it... 

All hell broke loose and I managed to take the scissors away from her. But how do I stop them from fighting next time? How do I keep my son and daughters safe? How do I calm her down? 

Any help is very much appreciated. I'm lost and at my wits end... 

Parents
  • Hi ParentingAutism,

Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time with violent behaviour from your daughter. NAS has some advice pages on challenging behaviour that might be of some help to you: here is a link to the behaviour section - https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/behaviour - from which you can choose which issues you need help with (anger management, or meltdowns, for example) and you can find advice, support, links to our helplines and recommended other organisations. The Challenging Behaviour Foundation in particular - www.challengingbehaviour.org.uk - might be beneficial to you.

Hope this is of some help,
    Ross - mod

• Ross - your stupidity staggers me. Just delete me from your forum. Your post above is the whole reason ASDs suffer in the patheticaly stupid and backward world created by low IQ things.

• Hello, 

I appreciate that it can be frustrating when you don't agree with something that has been posted, however please be mindful of our rules - in particular:

Be nice to one another and enjoy chatting with others. We encourage conversation and respectful debate; please be aware that individuals may give opinions which are not shared by other members. Insulting posts or comments making personal jibes will not be tolerated.

If you disagree with something a moderator has posted, you are welcome to post your thoughts to the thread if abiding our community rules, or you can choose to share feedback with us at communitymanager@nas.org.uk.

I notice that you mention you would like to be deleted from the forum. If you would like for your account to be deleted, please email us at the above email address so that we can ensure that the correct action is taken.

Many thanks,

Dani Mod

• WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THIS SITE GETS HACKED - THEN ALL THE DETAILS OF ALL MENEBERS WILL BE IN CRIMINAL HANDS. I GUERNTEE IT HAS LILELY HAPPENED ALREADY MULTIPLE TIME BUT YOU WOULDNT EVEN KNOW. 

IT IS PITIFUL REALLY - NO DIFFERENT TO 'AUTISM SPEAKS' 

• WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THIS SITE GETS HACKED - THEN ALL THE DETAILS OF ALL MENEBERS WILL BE IN CRIMINAL HANDS. I GUERNTEE IT HAS LILELY HAPPENED ALREADY MULTIPLE TIME BUT YOU WOULDNT EVEN KNOW. 

IT IS PITIFUL REALLY - NO DIFFERENT TO 'AUTISM SPEAKS' 

Children
No Data