At breaking point

Hello, I am the mother of an 11 tear old with Asperger's who was diagnosed when he was four. Frankly I feel like I can't carry on. He behaves wonderfully at school and has found the transition to high school much easier than we had hoped. At home he is a nightmare (but not all the time). He swears incessantly (I think he likes the sound of the words), argues, and when he gets angry he bangs doors and kicks the furniture. He can't amuse himself very often. He has never has a friend and relies on me and my husband for constant entertainment. He likes to play on video games but gets extremely cross with them when he can't do something.  He won't play out. He is grumpy and rude a lot of the time. I find him infuriating. He soils himself, wets the bed and won't go to the toilet at aone. The only advice anyone ever gives is "Write a social story" These don't work. I am sick to death of the whole situation and can't really see the point of anything - is this going to be the rest of my life. I fantasise about running away with my daughter but am not quite horrible enough to do that. I know I should just focus on him but I just don't know how to help.

Has anyone else ever felt like giving up?

Parents
  • Hello,

In answer to your question, yes, all the time. I have started writing a "book" it's not something I ever intend for any one else to EVER see (!) but when I am feeling like you are, like giving up, I find it really theraputic to write about it. It's not for any reason other than if I don't I feel I'm likely to scream! When I write about it I almost escape in that I am writing about someone else's life if that makes sense?

Have you spoken to anyone else about it? I am fortunate enough to have been offered counselling through work and have found sitting in a room ranting quite helpful. 

If it helps, I am actually relieved reading your post that I am not the only person that feels like it. It does feel like a life sentence sometimes and I know I certainly have up's and down's feeling I can't cope.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful, I'm not sure I deal with it in the best way yet... I just hope that you are feeling better

• Hello,

In answer to your question, yes, all the time. I have started writing a "book" it's not something I ever intend for any one else to EVER see (!) but when I am feeling like you are, like giving up, I find it really theraputic to write about it. It's not for any reason other than if I don't I feel I'm likely to scream! When I write about it I almost escape in that I am writing about someone else's life if that makes sense?

Have you spoken to anyone else about it? I am fortunate enough to have been offered counselling through work and have found sitting in a room ranting quite helpful. 

If it helps, I am actually relieved reading your post that I am not the only person that feels like it. It does feel like a life sentence sometimes and I know I certainly have up's and down's feeling I can't cope.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful, I'm not sure I deal with it in the best way yet... I just hope that you are feeling better

Children
No Data