Therapy dog

Hello everyone. 
I have a 13 year old girl who’s traits include being obsessed with dogs of any nature. She has to see them, pet them, collect things to do with dogs and has always gone on and on about having one. 
five weeks ago I decided to get a puppy, one that can grow with the family and help her with emotional issues. She gets angry a lot, has little interaction with others and likes to be on her own. 
bUT it hasn’t gone down as expected. She was angry I tried to surprise her (no surprise), she doesn’t seem that bothered with him and shouts at him when he doesn’t want to be cuddled continuously by her. She wants to sit on the sofa watching TV or being in her phone and is coming across like it’s a chore to have him.  I am the one getting up at 430am, toilet training him and cleaning every day. 
will this get any better? Was it the right decision? Twill she grow with him? 
many advice would be gratefully received 

Parents
  • My mum similarly got me a puppy when I was 14 because I was pretty obsessed with dogs. My thoughts of having a dog did not really match up to the reality and I struggled with this little creature that had suddenly invaded my space. I did love having her but also needed lots of time by myself, away from the puppy, like your daughter.

Are there any sensory aspects of the dog your daughter likes? Some of the first things that won me over with our dog were her silky ears and soft fur. I guess there's one positive in that she seems to like cuddling him. Does she like taking pictures/videos of the puppy on her phone? (was wondering if that might be a way to help combine phone time and dog time!)

As I matured (and our puppy calmed down) I enjoyed being around her a lot more and also helped my mum look after her more. Have you got someone else helping you with your puppy? I think you did a really nice thing in getting him for your daughter, especially as you're allergic! Dogs can be great for developing emotional skills, too. Hope things get better in time for you.

• My mum similarly got me a puppy when I was 14 because I was pretty obsessed with dogs. My thoughts of having a dog did not really match up to the reality and I struggled with this little creature that had suddenly invaded my space. I did love having her but also needed lots of time by myself, away from the puppy, like your daughter.

Are there any sensory aspects of the dog your daughter likes? Some of the first things that won me over with our dog were her silky ears and soft fur. I guess there's one positive in that she seems to like cuddling him. Does she like taking pictures/videos of the puppy on her phone? (was wondering if that might be a way to help combine phone time and dog time!)

As I matured (and our puppy calmed down) I enjoyed being around her a lot more and also helped my mum look after her more. Have you got someone else helping you with your puppy? I think you did a really nice thing in getting him for your daughter, especially as you're allergic! Dogs can be great for developing emotional skills, too. Hope things get better in time for you.

Children
  • Thank you. That’s really kind. You make excellent points with the sensory thing, she does like stroking them. I also think the phot thing could become something as she does like pictures. 

he hopefully will be trained when he reaches 12 months to help her curb her anger and self harm. I suppose maybe I jump the gun and think while he’s here, trained or not, he will instantly provide relief to her. 
    thank you for your words again.