Does your child do this?

My 7 year old autistic Daughter sometimes does this thing where you walk towards her and she runs so your left chasing her round a shop or wherever it is.

Does anyone else child do this?

Have you found a way to stop them doing it?

Thanks in advance.

Parents
  • So to give a bit of background my daughter usually runs when I walk towards her when she is having a meltdown or isn't happy with something. When my daughter is having a meltdown I usually try to make her laugh to calm her as that works most of the time.

When I spoke to her she said that she doesn't even know she does it sometimes as when she is having a meltdown she can't control herself sometimes. She also said that when I try to make her laugh, she gets confused as she "can't think properly" and doesn't know "whether it is time to play with mummy and run as mummy comes towards her". 

To be honest I don't even think she knows herself most of the time that she has done it.

She also does it when she isn't happy with something and I come towards here and same when she is having a meltdown so I think she is trying to tell me something when she does it to be honest.

She will probably do it for a few more years yet.

• when I try to make her laugh, she gets confused as she "can't think properly" and doesn't know "whether it is time to play with mummy and run as mummy comes towards her". 

This gives mixed signals, and so at the time of doing this, Please clearly and seriously specify what to do. The main thing as I (waffled) said, is to emphasise that it is not always a good or safe thing to always run away/play. I guess this sounds harsh, yet maybe other distractions need to be used.

• First, sorry if this reply comes across as rude

She only does this when she is having a meltdown or isn't happy with something I have tried to give her my phone (which she loves!) But even that doesn't work in this situation.

I emphasize to her that it is not good to run away from me when I walk towards her in that situation however when it happens I don't think she even knows that she is doing it, so what am I supposed to do?

• First, sorry if this reply comes across as rude

She only does this when she is having a meltdown or isn't happy with something I have tried to give her my phone (which she loves!) But even that doesn't work in this situation.

I emphasize to her that it is not good to run away from me when I walk towards her in that situation however when it happens I don't think she even knows that she is doing it, so what am I supposed to do?

Children
No Data