Does your child do this?

My 7 year old autistic Daughter sometimes does this thing where you walk towards her and she runs so your left chasing her round a shop or wherever it is.

Does anyone else child do this?

Have you found a way to stop them doing it?

Thanks in advance.

Parents
  • Hello,

Thanks for the advice, I will reply to you both later when I have more time.

My daughter is still awake now so I am going to try and talk to her and see if she knows why she does it.

• (  ...Me again. I should say, when talking to children over 5 Years old (!), talk to them as if they were an adult, and if they do not understand something, then talk them through that considering what they do know. Children (apparently) appreciate that.

...Also they might surprise You, and/or say something which You also may not know... in which case talk it through carefully whilst admitting the limits of any knowledge while taking Your need to protect them into consideration. I add this last part since Your Child is Autistic and may know & 'feel' a lot of things which You might not...!  )

• (  ...Me again. I should say, when talking to children over 5 Years old (!), talk to them as if they were an adult, and if they do not understand something, then talk them through that considering what they do know. Children (apparently) appreciate that.

...Also they might surprise You, and/or say something which You also may not know... in which case talk it through carefully whilst admitting the limits of any knowledge while taking Your need to protect them into consideration. I add this last part since Your Child is Autistic and may know & 'feel' a lot of things which You might not...!  )

Children