Asd migraines EHCP advice

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help, we have been told that the LA will assess my son 9 years old who is diagnosed ASD since 2015, since starting year 5 he has suffered with stress migraines once a week and is on medication and under paediatrician for this, he has since starting to bite his self at home In the evenings but seems to mask his symptoms at school so the school says he is "fine", he is a very quiet, loving boy but I am just worried they wont see him masking as he is so good at it until he gets home. I am wondering if anyone else got issued an EHCP due to stress, anxiety and ASD? Thank you. 

• I had a CT scan five weeks ago to determine if my ongoing headaches are migraines. There has been no word back from my Shrink - who made the referral, to begin with at first. It's emergency cases only, at the moment.

I also had a sleep clinic analysis, which I am awaiting the outcome of, after being referred last April/May and having the test this January. Northern Ireland's Health Service is the pits; even by British standards. Expressionless

• Hello NA S66334

Following on from some helpful advice you have already been given, you may find the following useful as well..

The following article contains a lot of helpful information about education for a child with an autism:http://www.autism.org.uk/about/in-education.aspx This includes information regarding getting extra support for your child in their education setting.

You can search for schools that cater for children with an autism spectrum disorder on our Autism Services Directory: https://www.autism.org.uk/services/autism-services-directory.aspx

It can help to pass on information specifically for education professionals about autism spectrum disorders. The following link contains information written for education professionals:
    http://www.autism.org.uk/professionals/teachers.aspx

You may want to contact our Education Rights Service who provides information, support and advice on educational provision and entitlements. Please see the following link for further information: http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/education-rights.aspx

You may like to contact our Parent to Parent service who offers emotional support to parents and carers of children or adults with autism. This service is confidential and run by trained parent volunteers who are all parents themselves of a child or adult with autism . 

You contact the team on 0808 800 4106. Please leave a message and the team will call you back as soon as possible at a time that suits you, including evenings and weekends. Alternatively you can use contact the team via web form: https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/parent-to-parent/enquiry.aspx

I hope you find some of this helpful for your situation

Best wishes

Lorraine Mod

• I know exactly how you feel the last few months have been a whirl wind for us first it was the statement and then after 3 years finally the asd assessment! Worse case scenario they say no and you can argue why he does need it, i was told it was hard to get a statement and put off for years but in the end I never even had to fight it.. With the evidence from the doctor it will help. The school did not want to give to my child as they said themselves they had children with more needs basically that were disrupting the class more. If the LA have agreed to do the assessment from what I have heard your half way there and in wales normally if you get that far your highly likely to get a statement from it. I think in our case the school have limited funds and they try and aim it more for children who are disrupting others then the quiet ones who need help and support but are not as disruptive so not as much as a issue to the teacher it is heart breaking really. i really hope you get your EHCP x

• Thank you so much, I have sent in all the evidence we have and got agreed assessment, I am very nervous if they refuse to issue and going tribunal as my son dont show any emotion to anyone else and only trusts me so its heart breaking but I have managed to get him to school every day no school refusal yet fingers crossed we dont get to that point. Thank you for you reply I do appreciate it x

• Hi,

I self applied for a statement (welsh equivalent) at the time my daughter did not have any diagnosis. The school were about to pull all my childs support again as in there words she was not a priority. I sent every bit of information I have to back what I was saying and explain exactly why I felt she needed the support. it takes a good few months but I was successful. You have nothing to lose in trying to get one and there are services that can help and advise you with that. Here is Wales we have snap cymru i am not sure in england though sorry but i am sure there is something similar. My main advice is send as much evidence as you can and write and tell them exactly why you feel the support is needed. I hope that helps and good luck x