School refusal

My daughter is refusing to go to school. This is a regular thing, and the school is supporting me. Unfortunately there is no one available today. Also I have ME and I'm having the worst morning, I'm struggling to stay conscious and it would be dangerous to drive. I don't know what to do.

• HI

I have no advice just wanted to send a virtual hug as I went through this last year when my daughter started year 7and I know how hard it is to deal with. I changed my daughter to a smaller school which has helped a little but we still have the odd day. I feel for you and your daughter and hope things are better for you now xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• I totally agree with you, the care for our children is more important then education, from are experience mainstream school let us and our child down 

• Hi, my son is 14 and stopped going to school about 6 months ago.  Unfortunately his school isn't that supportive and if we as parents didn't keep them updated by email I don't think they would bother to check in on him.  The school are more interested in just getting him back into school instead of addressing the fact that his health and emotional wellbeing has to come first and foremost.  CAHMS haven't been much help, so we as a family are now going down the private route of getting him assessed for ASD.  I have also found a GP after a long journey and battle who is going to bypass CAHMS and make a referral for my son to be assessed.  I used to really worry about my son missing out on his education and was more concerned what other people thought of me by letting my son stay off school. However, after the school messed up due to lack of communication between guidance and my sons teachers, when he finally plucked up courage to go back which lasted 2 days as he was so stressed. I know longer care as my son can catch up with his education hopefully in an environment where he feels safe and supported at a time when he feels well enough

• Hi Honours mum,

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with your daughter's refusal to go to school. There is an advice page here on the NAS site about school refusal which you might find helpful - https://www.autism.org.uk/about/in-education/exclusion/school-refusal-strategies.aspx - that covers reasons why your child might be refusing school, strategies for home, and strategies to discuss with the school. You mention that the school is supportive which is good to hear, but if you do encounter difficulty getting sufficient support from school you can talk to our Education Rights Service - https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/education-rights.aspx - which offers confidential advice and information to families on school education rights and entitlements.

Hope this is of some help,
    Ross - mod

• sorry I cant give you any good advice, I do feel your struggles it isn’t easy 

• Hi, my son is 12 he stopped completely going to school for over a year now, his school tried to help but I just think they started helping a little to late, also my son is undiagnosed but seen a psychologist and first paediatrician appointment both say ASD/SPD, which is what he is having trouble with in school is the sensory and Anxiety. We were told that mainstream school might not be right for him.

I just wish he could go to school and be around friends but he finds this difficult 

hope you get the help you need to support you and your Daughter