DD 17 - Burnout, Executive function & friends

DD 17 was diagnosed with autism in July this year. We have just started going to a post diagnosed parents group for autistic children,so am still learning... 

DD is struggling with burnout, execute function and making friends. It is breaking my heart to see her struggling and I feel helpless. Any tips, ideas etc that I could try? 

Parents
  • Distraction can be a nice way to suspend the internal over-processing going on in her head - does she have a passion that you can indulge?

She probably won't be bothered with friends right now - they come with their own baggage & hassles that she can do without.

If she would like a day out doing something nice, it will probably be with you as she can trust you to look after her and she knows how you react to things so you're the default lowest-stress person.

For example-  a boy into trains would be at his lowest stress in a train museum - so much to see and learn with none of the real-life problems involved.    Lots of safe data-gathering and things to measure and experience.

What would be your daughter's dream day?

• Distraction can be a nice way to suspend the internal over-processing going on in her head - does she have a passion that you can indulge?

She probably won't be bothered with friends right now - they come with their own baggage & hassles that she can do without.

If she would like a day out doing something nice, it will probably be with you as she can trust you to look after her and she knows how you react to things so you're the default lowest-stress person.

For example-  a boy into trains would be at his lowest stress in a train museum - so much to see and learn with none of the real-life problems involved.    Lots of safe data-gathering and things to measure and experience.

What would be your daughter's dream day?

Children
No Data