7 year old girl in year 3 finding school very difficult

Hi

My daughter is on the wait list to see CAMHS as a counsellor suggested she might be have ASD, (high functioning.)  She is finding school increasingly difficult particularly friendships (she says she has no- one to play with.)  Its really hard to find anyone who will come to play,  and even when we do find some-one then she is never invited back to their house.  Also maths is hard (she is below the expected standard.)  I am really concerned as she says she is dumb, stupid and other such words.  She is in tears so often saying she hates school and we have had to stop lots of her outside activities because she comes home very argumentative and aggressive so I think she needs more down time.  I am constantly reassuring her and have spoken to the teachers a lot about this which has been going on for over a year. The teacher at the last parents evening said let wait and see.....   I then spoke to the special needs teacher who agreed to get more advice from an advisory school but this hasnt happened neither has the ELSA she was promised.   I am just wondering when you say enough is enough?  I don't want to look for a new school, there are none nearby that are any better than where she is but I do worry about the on-going battle she is having and the effect it is having on her mental well-being.   

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

M

Parents
  • We saw a big change in our daughter when she went into year 3. She became more upset and very anxious. By the time she was in year 4 she came home crying most days. She also struggles with friends and we’ve come to realise now she is 10 (year 5) that she doesn’t understand what a friend is or consists of. The school was not very helpful and by the feb half term (year 4) we moved her to a new school ( from a 600 + pupil count to 150+). She now gets a one to one support session once a week to help her gain confidence in mixing with other children in the class. Although she won’t admit she is finding it better at this school.  I feel it is better for her with the support and being a lot more understanding with her struggles.

• We saw a big change in our daughter when she went into year 3. She became more upset and very anxious. By the time she was in year 4 she came home crying most days. She also struggles with friends and we’ve come to realise now she is 10 (year 5) that she doesn’t understand what a friend is or consists of. The school was not very helpful and by the feb half term (year 4) we moved her to a new school ( from a 600 + pupil count to 150+). She now gets a one to one support session once a week to help her gain confidence in mixing with other children in the class. Although she won’t admit she is finding it better at this school.  I feel it is better for her with the support and being a lot more understanding with her struggles.

Children
No Data