12 Year Old Son - Violence.

No doubt this is a common issue among many of you, but I am needing some advice or guidance.

My 12-year old son is becoming more verbally aggressive and threatening, in particular to my wife (not his biological mother- she hasn't seen him for 3-years) 

I have CAHMS involved and he has a support worker, but as you may be aware these organisations are low in resource, so it is a challenge to get things done quickly. 

He has an episode this evening and the concerns are centred around his threats 'to stab you all' and 'kill you all with a knife' and also he wanted to kill himself as 'I've had enough and it's the end of my world' 

As you can appreciate these are concerning words and whilst it may not be an immediate threat, the warning signs are growing louder. My wife says we need to get someone sufficiently trained within the police to speak to him to highlight the consequences of his behaviours, which may be beneficial, but from a long-term treatment perspective, what advice can you provide, if any?

I have done my own research and spoken to parents locally with Autistic children and it seems this is not a unique situation, but the safety of him and the rest of the family is essential here.

Parents
  • Hi, I have a 15 year old son with ASD, who can be verbally aggressive and sometimes makes threats such as you have described.

He was diagnosed at the age of 5, but was much more passive as a young child, the aggression got worse when he became a teenager. ( I don't know whether the hormonal changes at this time contribute to existing problems, but I suspect they do.)

He has been encouraged to take out his rage on harmless objects over the years, (e.g. punching cushions, tearing newspapers, using "stress balls"), and often uses them of his own accord. This is particularly useful when he is unable to explain what he is upset about, but sometimes when he has calmed down we can talk about it. If you don't mind me asking, have there been any recent changes in his life or routine which may be causing him extra stress?

With my own son, the threats only happen at moments when he is at peak rage, and seem to reflect the intensity of his feelings at the time rather than a genuine desire to do harm. He sometimes seems afraid of his own anger. But if you are ever in a situation in which you are afraid for the safety of yourselves or for him you would have to contact police or the Samaritans directly.

Other than that, I don't know what more I can say, except that I hope things improve for you all and that you find the help you need. Are there any other support groups in your area for people with autism and their families?

• Hi, I have a 15 year old son with ASD, who can be verbally aggressive and sometimes makes threats such as you have described.

He was diagnosed at the age of 5, but was much more passive as a young child, the aggression got worse when he became a teenager. ( I don't know whether the hormonal changes at this time contribute to existing problems, but I suspect they do.)

He has been encouraged to take out his rage on harmless objects over the years, (e.g. punching cushions, tearing newspapers, using "stress balls"), and often uses them of his own accord. This is particularly useful when he is unable to explain what he is upset about, but sometimes when he has calmed down we can talk about it. If you don't mind me asking, have there been any recent changes in his life or routine which may be causing him extra stress?

With my own son, the threats only happen at moments when he is at peak rage, and seem to reflect the intensity of his feelings at the time rather than a genuine desire to do harm. He sometimes seems afraid of his own anger. But if you are ever in a situation in which you are afraid for the safety of yourselves or for him you would have to contact police or the Samaritans directly.

Other than that, I don't know what more I can say, except that I hope things improve for you all and that you find the help you need. Are there any other support groups in your area for people with autism and their families?

Children
No Data