Autistic parent with autistic child

Is anyone else an autistic parent with an autistic child ?

Is great in some ways but so difficult in others as we are so very different in so many ways but yet share some of the same behaviours too. 

Parents
  • Yes! I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (F84.5 ICD-10) in December of last year. My 2 1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder a couple of weeks ago. Although she has significantly impaired language delay whereas I did not, she is still so much like me in so many ways. So many things that she does mirror how I was at her age such as staring at lights; sorting toys/objects into groups; doing head inversions (or headstands often!); hair pulling (I've stopped, she hasn't!); I could go on. At the same time though, many of her behaviours are more extreme than mine were (or those of my eldest daughter who I'm sure is Aspie) and I do find things a little bit challenging at times. Luckily, I've been able to find some good support groups for parents of autistic children in my local area. Do you attend any support groups?

• Yes! I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (F84.5 ICD-10) in December of last year. My 2 1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder a couple of weeks ago. Although she has significantly impaired language delay whereas I did not, she is still so much like me in so many ways. So many things that she does mirror how I was at her age such as staring at lights; sorting toys/objects into groups; doing head inversions (or headstands often!); hair pulling (I've stopped, she hasn't!); I could go on. At the same time though, many of her behaviours are more extreme than mine were (or those of my eldest daughter who I'm sure is Aspie) and I do find things a little bit challenging at times. Luckily, I've been able to find some good support groups for parents of autistic children in my local area. Do you attend any support groups?

Children