Autistic parent with autistic child

Is anyone else an autistic parent with an autistic child ?

Is great in some ways but so difficult in others as we are so very different in so many ways but yet share some of the same behaviours too. 

• Hi, yes I'm diagnosed and so is my 18 year old son. I think it helps both ways, for me and for him. I can see some problems he might encounter and hopefully step in. I really enjoy his company, he's so witty and sharp. Maybe on the negative side, it's possible to over-identify with him too much, so I need to check myself on that. 

• Yes, I was diagnosed in 2006 and it was this that led to both of my sons getting a diagnosis. They are half brothers and ten years apart in age. Both are now adult and one is married with a daughter and the others is living with his long term partner, her two children from first marriage and their young baby. Incidentally, he's an amazing dad to the older children and has really stepped up in his care for them. I have a book published about some of my experiences as an undiagnosed autistic parent and you can find info here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travelling-Train-Journey-Autistic-Mother/dp/1784529109

• I am and was diagnosed BEFORE both of my sons and this is what led to them both getting a diagnosis. They are half brothers and ten years apart in age. Both are now fathers and enjoying successful lives. 

• Do Not Feed The Troll......

• Oh please! Autism Spectrum Disorder is a pervasive developmental disorder and no you can't recover from it! It's a good thing that I'm Autistic myself and can call you out on your Bulls%&$ because I 'know' that you can't recover from it! It is dangerous making claims such as this to parents, especially non-autistic parents who are often totally bewildered by autism and their child being diagnosed! You should be utterly ashamed of yourself trying to prey on other people's fears and vulnerabilities with your false claims! There is no tolerance of these sort of fraudulent claims on this forum!!!

• Yes! I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (F84.5 ICD-10) in December of last year. My 2 1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder a couple of weeks ago. Although she has significantly impaired language delay whereas I did not, she is still so much like me in so many ways. So many things that she does mirror how I was at her age such as staring at lights; sorting toys/objects into groups; doing head inversions (or headstands often!); hair pulling (I've stopped, she hasn't!); I could go on. At the same time though, many of her behaviours are more extreme than mine were (or those of my eldest daughter who I'm sure is Aspie) and I do find things a little bit challenging at times. Luckily, I've been able to find some good support groups for parents of autistic children in my local area. Do you attend any support groups?