Sugar elimination from diet

Hi all new to forum and first time posting, really just to see if anyone have experience or tips on this. My 6 year old son who has autism has terrible problems with very loose bowels and hives when eating certain foods. Dairy has been eliminated from his diet for past three years but after paediatrician appointment today we have been advised to eliminate all sugars from his diet for three weeks to see how that goes and slowly introduce sugars back in. 

Any help or guidance really appreciated. 

Parents
  • Eliminating sugars can be a good way of stopping to feed a candida overgrowth in the gut. Candida overgrowths are often the cause of hives and bowel problems. But besides that does he take any probiotics?

I take a teaspoon daily on top of my food, it's a white powder that has quite a few beneficial bacteria in it.

I actually take a children's one myself even though I'm an adult. It doesn't really have any taste. It can be mixed into food but only after putting on the plate, and not soups, as too much heat will kill the bacteria.

There's a growing amount of science that backs the idea that overuse of antibiotics is leading to more food allergies and gut problems. Most animal meat and dairy & eggs have antibiotics in them too, as the animals are given them and it stays in the meat and dairy & eggs, so you are basically  taking antibiotics (even if only in a small dose), if you're eating meat/eggs/mlk/cheese/yogurt that isn't organic. Only organic meat is assured to be antibiotic free.

As antibiotics kill ALL bacteria, even the good, it can be helpful to use a probiotic for a while to put back a healthy range of bacteria in the gut. A lot of people now cannot fight off infections well because they're taking too many antibiotics and viruses (like the cold and flu) are sometimes becoming immune to antibiotics.

• Yeast overgrowth is not helped by white bread - they use the Chorleywood Method to make it which involves using way too much yeast and emulsifiers to make uniform bubbles in the bread.   It's cooked very fast at a low temperature so the yeast is not killed.   This multiplies in the gut causing gas & bloating    The emulsifiers soak up bacteria in the small intestine and drag it through to the large intestine where is grows and upsets the natural balance there.

• Yeast overgrowth is not helped by white bread - they use the Chorleywood Method to make it which involves using way too much yeast and emulsifiers to make uniform bubbles in the bread.   It's cooked very fast at a low temperature so the yeast is not killed.   This multiplies in the gut causing gas & bloating    The emulsifiers soak up bacteria in the small intestine and drag it through to the large intestine where is grows and upsets the natural balance there.

Children
  • Yeah, that's true - a sourdough bread is the safest bet because the slow rising and use of wild yeast means there's less. yeast overall, as most the yeast is consumed in the fermentation process. A soda bread is another option as it uses bicarbonate of soda instead of yeast to rise. Or there's always flatbreads too, as are popular in India. They're quite easy to make. All you need is flour, water, a bowl and a pan. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chapatis_77146