Sugar elimination from diet

Hi all new to forum and first time posting, really just to see if anyone have experience or tips on this. My 6 year old son who has autism has terrible problems with very loose bowels and hives when eating certain foods. Dairy has been eliminated from his diet for past three years but after paediatrician appointment today we have been advised to eliminate all sugars from his diet for three weeks to see how that goes and slowly introduce sugars back in. 

Any help or guidance really appreciated. 

Parents
  • No he can be very prone to colds anything that’s going about he catches it tbh. He has a really good diet that’s something that has never been a issue thankfully. But food and fruit in particular is his big love cutting it out is going to be very hard, his understanding is very poor so explaining to him why we are doing it isn’t going to register with him. 

They are also testing for other inflammatory conditions as well like Crohns etc to hand in a stool sample for that. 

• I have pan-ulcerative colitis - like Crohns but much more severe.   For me, food is like a dart-board.    Imagine if you replaced all the numbers around the edge with things like 'fibrous' or 'fatty' or 'dairy' or 'sugary' or 'chocolate' or 'yeasty' or 'citrus' or 'fresh veg' etc.   Now imagine baby food or chicken & boiled potatoes in the bullseye.

The further I go away from the centre towards the numbers, the more problems I get.    The biggest problem is that chicken & potatoes is tasteless & boring.    I can't do it - it's too dull - so I cheat and treat myself occasionally.

If I choose something with good flavour like a pizza, it bites me in multiple ways by the cheese, the tomato and the bread.   It gives me major problems afterwards/nest day.    Chocolate gives me problems within minutes.

I use Loperamide and Tramadol to give me relief - it anaesthetises the intestine so I can leave the house.   Some antidepressants do a similar thing in small doses.

I avoid all fresh fruit - tinned seems to be ok - oranges/citrus bite me badly

Cheap white bread is bad.

Veg has to be cooked to death.

Meat has to be very lean/no fat.

I avoid all oils & artificial spreads - small amounts of real butter seems ok.

I find the biggest issue is stress - the more I can avoid it, the healthier I am.

• I have pan-ulcerative colitis - like Crohns but much more severe.   For me, food is like a dart-board.    Imagine if you replaced all the numbers around the edge with things like 'fibrous' or 'fatty' or 'dairy' or 'sugary' or 'chocolate' or 'yeasty' or 'citrus' or 'fresh veg' etc.   Now imagine baby food or chicken & boiled potatoes in the bullseye.

The further I go away from the centre towards the numbers, the more problems I get.    The biggest problem is that chicken & potatoes is tasteless & boring.    I can't do it - it's too dull - so I cheat and treat myself occasionally.

If I choose something with good flavour like a pizza, it bites me in multiple ways by the cheese, the tomato and the bread.   It gives me major problems afterwards/nest day.    Chocolate gives me problems within minutes.

I use Loperamide and Tramadol to give me relief - it anaesthetises the intestine so I can leave the house.   Some antidepressants do a similar thing in small doses.

I avoid all fresh fruit - tinned seems to be ok - oranges/citrus bite me badly

Cheap white bread is bad.

Veg has to be cooked to death.

Meat has to be very lean/no fat.

I avoid all oils & artificial spreads - small amounts of real butter seems ok.

I find the biggest issue is stress - the more I can avoid it, the healthier I am.

Children
No Data