Help with autistic 9 year old step son who is struggling with anxiety.

Hi all, I am seeking some help and support for myself and the dad of our 9 year old. A little about him, he was diagnosed back when he was 3. The support his parents got was that they where coping well and didn't need any further advice. He goes to mainstream school and for the past few years his school reports have worsened. He struggles with anxiety at times however this has worsened. He has also recently been diagnosed with dysbraxia. So, his mum has taken him back to the go due to anxiety to be told he will grow out of it. He suffers with going to sleep, so much so he is holding his head saying he gives up. Normally we would take him home to his mum, which helps or if she is out his dad will get into bed with him,but then he doesn't settle till 2am ish. Normally anxiety grows when it is the summer holidays. He has started being very clingy when going out, sometimes the simple trip to the local restaurant will cause this. He normally goes to bed with his TV on and we will turn it off once he is asleep, which lately he is not. We would like to make it comfortable for him as we know his mum needs the break and my partner is scared and worried he is losing his son. Where can we go to get him re-assessed as we are finding it hard to get the gp to refer us, or what can we say to get him to refer us? Sorry for the long post, we are out of our minds at the moment. Is there any apps that our 9 year old can do to help with autism and anxiety? 

Parents
  • Hi this sounds very similar to my son a few years ago who is now 10.  I found that routine was the key. 

He struggled sleeping and we found a fan, a night light and music were 3 of his things that were calming for him.  Perhaps speak with his mum to find out her routine and implement the same.  Or have  some of the things he enjoys in his room at yours to make him feel more comfortable.

To help with settling at night and because we realised transitions were a problem for our son we kept the same bed time for during the week extending it a little at weekend and used a traffic light timer that counted down for him then we gave him a 5 minute cuddle just before settling. This took some time but it worked.

I also found that now when he can’t sleep I use breathing excercises which relaxes him enough to switch of a little.

I find when he’s over stimulated or has something troubling him that is when he appears more unsettled and struggles to sleep.

We can’t take our son to big shops or restaurants because they are to sensory for him, bright lights, busy places and new smells caused him anxiety as well as being anxious over what he would eat as he has a limited food palate. 

We also struggle to get him out the house most of the time as his house is his safe space and were he feels most comfortable and can be himself.  that is a challenge that we still haven’t got a handle of yet lol a big learning curve for us especially during the holidays. 

The most important thing for him is to feel loved and looked after and you are doing that.

Hope some of this helps xx

• Hi this sounds very similar to my son a few years ago who is now 10.  I found that routine was the key. 

He struggled sleeping and we found a fan, a night light and music were 3 of his things that were calming for him.  Perhaps speak with his mum to find out her routine and implement the same.  Or have  some of the things he enjoys in his room at yours to make him feel more comfortable.

To help with settling at night and because we realised transitions were a problem for our son we kept the same bed time for during the week extending it a little at weekend and used a traffic light timer that counted down for him then we gave him a 5 minute cuddle just before settling. This took some time but it worked.

I also found that now when he can’t sleep I use breathing excercises which relaxes him enough to switch of a little.

I find when he’s over stimulated or has something troubling him that is when he appears more unsettled and struggles to sleep.

We can’t take our son to big shops or restaurants because they are to sensory for him, bright lights, busy places and new smells caused him anxiety as well as being anxious over what he would eat as he has a limited food palate. 

We also struggle to get him out the house most of the time as his house is his safe space and were he feels most comfortable and can be himself.  that is a challenge that we still haven’t got a handle of yet lol a big learning curve for us especially during the holidays. 

The most important thing for him is to feel loved and looked after and you are doing that.

Hope some of this helps xx

Children
  • Thank you so much for your comment and suggestions. We have spent the past two days working at a routine and strategies to suit both households. Both mum and dad have asked to be referred back to the autism unit, however the gp has reffered back to the dysbraxia unit, but like I said to them, atleast they are back in the NHS system and hopefully get to where they need to be. We have a calendar in place here so he can look to see who he is with. Instead of 4 consecutive nights here, we have broken this to every other night. He slept last night without any issues and we have told him, instead of asking, that he watches a film in bed instead of 20 minute episodes, where he spends time flicking through channels. He has a fan and a lamp. He does feel like we are being strict with him, which is new to mum mostly, however throughout the talking we have said this will break that separation anxiety a bit and she will be able to enjoy her time off instead of worrying about whether she will get a phone call to say he's coming home. I've also explained to his dad that we need to be persistent with him and not give in to a melt down. I'm still learning too, one to look after a little boy and 2 to manage this as I have 2 girls. The girls are around the same age and it has taken me time to get them to understand that we are not giving Brandon privelages, he needs them to help him. I'm proud of all 3 of them. The routine is set and it's now time to persevere and not give in. Thanks again x