Circadin / Melatonin not working

hi. I wonder if anyone has found the 2mg Circadin doesn't have an effect? Paediatrician said we can double the dosage to 4mg but that doesn’t work. Lovely daughter is still up and down stressing about getting to sleep. When we doubled the dosage the Paediatrician said sometimes Melatonin doesn’t work and if that’s the case they may withdraw it !!! I’m horrified at this, my daughter needs to get to sleep but what am I to do if the medicine isn’t working ? 

Juat wonder if anyone else has experience of circadian 4mg not working ? How did doctors deal with this situation ? 

thanks in advance x

Parents
  • I'm still waiting for melatonin, my daughter has had sleep problems for 6 and a half years. Are you doing wind down sensory sessions before bed? This can help calm your daughter down enough for the melatonin to start working, have they put her on the standard ones or slow release this can make a difference 

• Thank you for your kindness in responding.  We have a lovely routine with breathing exercises and meditation stories .... and lavender diffuser, dim lighting, no screens before bed etc etc ......it’s “the routine” but it doesn’t work and we need the melatonin x I don’t know if it’s slow release or the other .... which works better ?

• That really depends on the child, if they can get to sleep but wake up repeatedly then slow release should be more effective, but if it is difficulty just getting to sleep then the normal ones would be better, it's worth asking the doctor which ones you have. 

We tried the whole banning screens before bed it made our daughter worse! She has alot of fiddle toys in her bed that she fiddles with until she falls asleep. Just wish she would stop sneaking in to the bathroom and painting the floor with shampoo.

• That really depends on the child, if they can get to sleep but wake up repeatedly then slow release should be more effective, but if it is difficulty just getting to sleep then the normal ones would be better, it's worth asking the doctor which ones you have. 

We tried the whole banning screens before bed it made our daughter worse! She has alot of fiddle toys in her bed that she fiddles with until she falls asleep. Just wish she would stop sneaking in to the bathroom and painting the floor with shampoo.

Children
No Data