Hives caused by anxiety

Hi,

This is my first post on here, but I was wondering whether anyone had a child who suffers with a skin condition that becomes worse through stress and anxiety?

We are just starting on the long journey to diagnosis and I'm finding it all rather overwhelming at the moment, especially as my husband is in denial that there is anything for us to be concerned about with our five year olds behaviour. I, personally, have always suspected he may have some autistic traits but these are becoming much more obvious now and working with his school, theyve advised us to go for a diagnosis to ensure he gets the right support.

Every since being a baby, a dermatologist said that little raised itchy bumps he gets occasionally on his body are a form of hives and have appeared most commonly when hes ill or it's hot. But, during the school holidays when hes out of routine, we've had a lot of meltdowns this week and it's all been quite confusing for him at times, he has come out in a significant amount of hives. I'm wondering whether this could have been caused by the stress of being out of routine etc? Does anybody have any experience of this?

Thanks in advance, any information and advice I'd be so grateful for! 

Parents
  • I have a life long problem with acne, which is overproduction and trapping of sebum. Skin disorders are not easily diagnosed because it depends entirely on the genetics of the individual and their lifestyle. According to the research I have done, the human gut (microbiome) seems to play a role in affecting the immune system, which would then contribute to inflammatory responses producing 'break outs'.

When people speak of 'stress', it is typically restricted to emotional stress, but the proper way is to think about it in terms of physiological stress (analogous to the mechanism of antibodies and viruses).

So if your son does experience hives (Urticaria), then you have to try to pin point what could be the possible factors that activates this immune response, or aggrivates it.

In my own case, my skin condition worsens when my bedroom is exposed to humidity, stale dry air and mould (giving rise to airborne bacteria). When I don't change my sheets as often as I should do. Am dehydrated and lack eating enough fruits/vegetables.

I discovered I have IBS, and that consumption of processed food/sugar and certain vegetables and fruit cause me to have severe break outs. I experimented and used a process of elimination and reintroduction, which turns out is what other people are doing, known as the FODMAP (Refer to the YouTube links).

Suggestion:

1. Cut out processed sugar in his diet (once in awhile is okay). People who are sensitive to sugar (like myself) can experience itchiness and redness (similar to hives). I use stevia, no problems at all, and because it is sweeter than sugar you can use less of it.
    2. For yourself: Do not panic over your child about ASD or hives. From experience my mother did this and I internalized it, so if your child is anxious then that could be why. The more worried you get, the more the father will be resistant in wanting to support you with your son. He is in denial because of the sudden suspecting of things. Try to take it slow and have conversations with him, do some research together on the subject, and make him understand that as a mother you have maternal instincts, so your behaviour is justified.
  • I have a life long problem with acne, which is overproduction and trapping of sebum. Skin disorders are not easily diagnosed because it depends entirely on the genetics of the individual and their lifestyle. According to the research I have done, the human gut (microbiome) seems to play a role in affecting the immune system, which would then contribute to inflammatory responses producing 'break outs'.

When people speak of 'stress', it is typically restricted to emotional stress, but the proper way is to think about it in terms of physiological stress (analogous to the mechanism of antibodies and viruses).

So if your son does experience hives (Urticaria), then you have to try to pin point what could be the possible factors that activates this immune response, or aggrivates it.

In my own case, my skin condition worsens when my bedroom is exposed to humidity, stale dry air and mould (giving rise to airborne bacteria). When I don't change my sheets as often as I should do. Am dehydrated and lack eating enough fruits/vegetables.

I discovered I have IBS, and that consumption of processed food/sugar and certain vegetables and fruit cause me to have severe break outs. I experimented and used a process of elimination and reintroduction, which turns out is what other people are doing, known as the FODMAP (Refer to the YouTube links).

Suggestion:

1. Cut out processed sugar in his diet (once in awhile is okay). People who are sensitive to sugar (like myself) can experience itchiness and redness (similar to hives). I use stevia, no problems at all, and because it is sweeter than sugar you can use less of it.
    2. For yourself: Do not panic over your child about ASD or hives. From experience my mother did this and I internalized it, so if your child is anxious then that could be why. The more worried you get, the more the father will be resistant in wanting to support you with your son. He is in denial because of the sudden suspecting of things. Try to take it slow and have conversations with him, do some research together on the subject, and make him understand that as a mother you have maternal instincts, so your behaviour is justified.
Children
No Data