Hives caused by anxiety

Hi,

This is my first post on here, but I was wondering whether anyone had a child who suffers with a skin condition that becomes worse through stress and anxiety?

We are just starting on the long journey to diagnosis and I'm finding it all rather overwhelming at the moment, especially as my husband is in denial that there is anything for us to be concerned about with our five year olds behaviour. I, personally, have always suspected he may have some autistic traits but these are becoming much more obvious now and working with his school, theyve advised us to go for a diagnosis to ensure he gets the right support.

Every since being a baby, a dermatologist said that little raised itchy bumps he gets occasionally on his body are a form of hives and have appeared most commonly when hes ill or it's hot. But, during the school holidays when hes out of routine, we've had a lot of meltdowns this week and it's all been quite confusing for him at times, he has come out in a significant amount of hives. I'm wondering whether this could have been caused by the stress of being out of routine etc? Does anybody have any experience of this?

Thanks in advance, any information and advice I'd be so grateful for! 

Parents
  • I'm not autistic, but I do get stress induced hives! Any thing that triggers a bad case of anxiety and I'm covered in them! (had a lovely outbreak this week) 

My daughter is currently awaiting diagnosis. She used to get incredibly anxious in the school holidays (lack of routine) we introduced a visual timetable so she could see what was happening and give the day a more structured feeling this helped massively so did adding set breaks for sensory exercises and stimming how she felt like this allowed her to relax more. 

It's not perfect but it did stop alot of the meltdowns (still get the ones her sister causes!) 

• Thank you for the advice. I'm definitely going to try some visual charts etc for him to see if it helps! I want to try these things now, because I think as for a lot of autistic children, the 6 weeks school holidays are going to be tough! 

• Thank you for the advice. I'm definitely going to try some visual charts etc for him to see if it helps! I want to try these things now, because I think as for a lot of autistic children, the 6 weeks school holidays are going to be tough! 

Children
No Data